Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Adding New Control Since Its Splitlock Detector Is Wrecking Some Steam Play Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder where these people are hiding around here that previously had been saying this certainly won't turn out to be a problem for WINE / Proton...

Comment

So happy to see Linux continue to develop into a gaming platform worth bragging about. Problems get found, problems get overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        1. Introduce code to make bad behaving applications slow
        2. Bad behaving app becomes slow
        3. Introduce setting do disable former code

Mission failed successfully
        This is a good decision because Windows game developers are Never going to make code changes to make it work on Linux.
        I've worked on proprietary software long enough to know that there is a big resistance to make any effort for Linux, because they think it's a rabbit hole and will require a lot of investment to support the platform - you get scolded if you put some effort for Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yes it does.
          And will it continue to work or will I have to replace it with the new split_lock_mitigate=0 ?

Comment

Originally posted by nuetzel View Post
            BTW Hello to all of you, again.
            I was pressed for time lately...
            How to enable MGLRU as default the rightâ„¢ way with 6.1?
            Speaking to myself (found something):

echo y > /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled

cat /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/enabled
            0x0007

Is this right? - 7 or better 1?

echo 1000 > /sys/kernel/mm/lru_gen/min_ttl_ms

Comment

Originally posted by mbriar View Post
              WIne won't be able to set it itself because it'll require root.
              So add another option between "off" and "on" which is along the lines of "decide based on a filesystem xattr on the binary being exec'd". That's how things like SELinux labelling work.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post

This is a good decision because Windows game developers are Never going to make code changes to make it work on Linux.
                I've worked on proprietary software long enough to know that there is a big resistance to make any effort for Linux, because they think it's a rabbit hole and will require a lot of investment to support the platform - you get scolded if you put some effort for Linux.
                Well, fixing split locks would help performance on Windows as well. Of course the developers are very likely blissfully unaware of it.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Yes, but the flawed assumption was that inflicting pain would force the developers to fix the offending code. Since this is a binary-only game that's not actually supported on Linux, there's little/no chance of that happening.
                  You mean the split locking isn't happening on Windows,
                  or that the developers don't care about better performance?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

You mean the split locking isn't happening on Windows,
                    or that the developers don't care about better performance?
                    Probably that this is a situation akin to how Windows games are used to having Windows GPU driver vendors bend over backwards to write custom profiles to fix their problems for them.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                      Somehow I missed that knob. Need to test it with PlanetSide 2 - in heavy battles it drops to 10 FPS with 1-sec freezes on RX6800XT and 5950X.
                      Unlikely that this is also a problem with PlanetSide 2, because another user on ProtonDB is reporting decent performance with Linux 6.0, but that user is using a nVidia 1660 Ti.

Unfortunately, there could be a multitude of reasons why it is running badly on your system:

- Your Ryzen 5950X is a multi-CCX CPU, which could degrade performance when threads are jumping between dies over the "Infinity Fabric".

- As usual for AMD's GPU division, their automatic reclocking feature is inferior to nVidia's, so try manually forcing the 3D_FULL_SCREEN power profile.

- Arch / Manjaro are always enabling transparent hugepages by default these days, which can lead to huge latency-spikes; switch over to "madvise" to avoid these.

- And it goes without saying, but switch over to the performance governor if you haven't already.

Hope the above somewhat helps to achieve smoother gameplay on your Linux setup!

Comment

Working...
                      X