Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Has Temperature Monitoring For Upcoming AMD CPUs, MWAIT For HPC Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0 Has Temperature Monitoring For Upcoming AMD CPUs, MWAIT For HPC Customers

Phoronix: Linux 6.0 Has Temperature Monitoring For Upcoming AMD CPUs, MWAIT For HPC Customers

Among the early pull requests for the now-open Linux 6.0 merge window (nee Linux 5.20) are a few AMD additions worth mentioning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's great and all to have cpu temperature support for zen 4 but will we ever get back all the other stuff we have been missing on zen processors for sensor support? like power usage? i've whined about it before in the past, but its pretty disappointing we don't have basic feature parity with amd's own offical ryzen master on windows... valve has done a lot to help linux grow thanks to promoting it as a gaming platform. and there is so much other niches linux can get into. like overclocking. not just power users or gamers like monitoring, but overclockers too. keep drawing in that market, and you'll keep growing linux. you'll keep getting more peripheral support and hardware support just from the gamer and overclocking side of things. as silly as it may sound, but sensor support will help in this regard. its a must.

i'd love to watch people like buildzoid on actual hardcore overclocking using linux while he does liquid nitrogen overclocking on ram lol.

Comment

Zenpower3 has power usage stats on Zen 3. Probably the same for previous generations (not sure about Zen 1). Of course, it's an out of three module; the zenpower module included in the kernel is the older version which I think no longer sees updates. Which by the way... zenpower vs. k10temp. What will be the way forward?
      But yeah, kind of silly that we still have no proper Ryzen Master on Linux. Motherboard sensors are also a sour situation, even if some recent headway is being made with certain Asus based AM4 boards. I have long given up on this however, as I think we will just never have the same level of support as Windows in this regard.

Comment

And now zenpower3, which is the latest development branch of the original zenpower does not work anymore on kernel 6.0+.

So now, all we have to work with is the k10temp driver which only shows temps for zen3 cpus.

Comment

Zenpower3 stopped working for me since 5.9.10 (Ubuntu mainline kernels) but has been working on my Tumbleweed install (5.19.13 at the moment but dkms seems to be broken). Hopefully they sort it out by the soon. k10temp is very lackluster in comparison.

Comment

Hmmm, zenpower 3 has been working for me on the Ubuntu mainline kernels up through 5.15 so far with no issues.
            dkms just has picked up the compile every kernel upgrade no problem

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Myers View Post
              Hmmm, zenpower 3 has been working for me on the Ubuntu mainline kernels up through 5.15 so far with no issues.
              dkms just has picked up the compile every kernel upgrade no problem
              I meant 5.19.10. Missed a number there. My Tumbleweed just updated to the 6.0 kernel and zenpower3 seems to work fine. I did have to reinstall it since dkms no longer picks it up for some reason.

Comment

Working...
              X