Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lenovo Expects 30+ Platforms With Linux Support This Year, Both AMD & Intel Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is cool to see that he lists "ThinkPad P14s AMD G3" on the platform slide! That model is not even released yet. The Intel version was released earlier this year, and I was disappointed to not see an AMD version of the same machine with Ryzen 6xxx. His slides brings back the hope that Lenovo will release that combination later this year. That might allow me to finally retire the X220 that I've used since 2011...

Has anyone heard anything official about that model through any other channels? Or did he actually reveal upcoming laptops ahead of marketing?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      I will repeat my challenge here in case a laptop manufacturer stumbles on this thread:
      Go to a site that sells laptops.

Filter by screen ratio 16:10 (or better vertical)
      Filter by low power CPU (implies cool & quiet with decent battery life, but probably not fast)
      Filter by integrated GPU
      Filter by 16G RAM or more
      Filter by 1TB SSD or more
      Filter by by screen size 15"-16"
      Filter by screen type OLED (or mini-LED)

Only the Mac Book Pro will be left ...

In a nutshell, please make more cool&quiet laptops with good battery life and good screens. (16:9 should have never existed)
      Performance wise, do the best you can, without making the laptop hot and/or noisy ...

Make "cool&quiet" your selling point instead of the specs of the CPU/GPU.
      Save for the OLED, I think IdeaPad 5 Pro 16 fits your description almost exactly. In fact, I am writing this message on one equipped with a Ryzen 5800H, no dGPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. Weights 2kg and is pretty quiet. Battery life is greatly affected by screen brightness. Sometimes I get 12 or more hours with normal use. There are SKUs without an OS.

At this point you would be better served by a newer model, say, something with a 6800u, though availability is a major issue.
      In any case, there are plenty of 14 inch Lenovo models with 5800u but, sadly, only 512GB SSD and 16 GB RAM. They can also be found without an OS preinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post

Yeah, I bought a Yoga because in my region, a thinkpad with a decent screen (over 300nits) is unheard of. It works well but I would prefer official support.
        I had to buy a Ryzen 5800H Legion 5. Thinkpads around here are terribly overpriced, even the cheaper E/L series.
        The GNU/Linux support is reasonable:
        - I am able to switch the battery protection mode on and off, it's not as flexible as the feature available on Thinkpads
        - Firmware (UEFI) upgrade remains locked to Windows
        - Fast charge configurations are absent from the UEFI interface: they depend on Windows drivers to be modified

NVIDIA Optimus is still broken for basic actions on the proprietary driver: I can't even change the LCD brightness when I boot with the mux switch enabling only the dGPU. Connecting external displays through USB-C and HDMi is extremely clunky, but it still works. I hope these issues are fixed on the 510 driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
          I will repeat my challenge here in case a laptop manufacturer stumbles on this thread:
          Go to a site that sells laptops.

Filter by screen ratio 16:10 (or better vertical)
          Filter by low power CPU (implies cool & quiet with decent battery life, but probably not fast)
          Filter by integrated GPU
          Filter by 16G RAM or more
          Filter by 1TB SSD or more
          Filter by by screen size 15"-16"
          Filter by screen type OLED (or mini-LED)

Only the Mac Book Pro will be left ...

In a nutshell, please make more cool&quiet laptops with good battery life and good screens. (16:9 should have never existed)
          Performance wise, do the best you can, without making the laptop hot and/or noisy ...

Make "cool&quiet" your selling point instead of the specs of the CPU/GPU.
          We could achieve this or better if frame.work would just produce an AMD-based laptop - and we put some pressure on the qd-oled manufacturers for some small 4:3 displays!
          Would be my top choice as well (but perhaps 14.5" max plz).

Comment

Originally posted by endrebjorsvik View Post
            It is cool to see that he lists "ThinkPad P14s AMD G3" on the platform slide! That model is not even released yet. The Intel version was released earlier this year, and I was disappointed to not see an AMD version of the same machine with Ryzen 6xxx. His slides brings back the hope that Lenovo will release that combination later this year. That might allow me to finally retire the X220 that I've used since 2011...

Has anyone heard anything official about that model through any other channels? Or did he actually reveal upcoming laptops ahead of marketing?
            It seems like he revealed the P14s G3 AMD just a few days before the official press release. https://news.lenovo.com/pressroom/pr...-workstations/

Comment

Working...
            X