Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

macOS 13 Adding Ability To Use Rosetta In ARM Linux VMs For Speedy x86_64 Linux Binaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DF
    Originally posted by cthart View Post
    Will Apple make Rosetta available to be able to run Windows in a VM on macOS on Apple hardware? This is my current use case -- I need to run one piece of Windows-only software.
    Definitely not.
    One thing that stops Windows from getting into the arm powered machine is that majority of windows programs only support x86-64 and for backward compatibility, which is the main point of using Windows, they must keep supporting all the old binaries

Comment

Will Apple make Rosetta available to be able to run Windows in a VM on macOS on Apple hardware? This is my current use case -- I need to run one piece of Windows-only software.
      probably not, I would hold hope if it is linux wine compatible, that wine gets support for this, im not sure if linux vms on mac have gpu accel outside of qemu tho

Comment

People like my brother already run Windows in a VM on Mac M1. It contains own x86/x64 emulator from Microsoft. Not so fast, but good enough (the current problem with emulation in Windows is missing APIs, not the instruction sets).

EDIT: The missing APIs are a lazyness of Microsoft. E.g. how long we read here on Phoronix, they are working on OpenGL. It will probably be there sooner native from GPU vendors when the exclusive deal with Qualcomm ends and we have desktop class GPUs from AMD (Samsung SoC) and Nvidia (MediaTek SoC). (Well, native drivers are for dualboot - fortunately natively supported on M1 - but Microsoft's Zink-based wrapper may still be useful for running in the VM.)
        Last edited by Ladis; 08 June 2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Again, are you not reading? Threads. Threads. Threads. Threads are an OS construct that shares memory and runs interleaved and is scheduled like processes are.
          I know what memory protection is, but this memory protection is based on page tables that are shared by threads of a single process.
          I'm asking what color the table is and you try to explain to me what a table is.
          Again, are you not reading? The x86 strong memory model is about sharing memory among CPU cores, not threads/processes on a single core. You say yourself, your example fails even on a native x86 core. And when you fix it, it will run fine even in that emulation on the ARM core. You "Threads. Threads. Threads" boy

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post
            Again, are you not reading? The x86 strong memory model is about sharing memory among CPU cores, not threads/processes on a single core. You say yourself, your example fails even on a native x86 core. And when you fix it, it will run fine even in that emulation on the ARM core. You "Threads. Threads. Threads" boy
            And that is what I'm asking, but you kept saying unrelated stuff about how processes don't share memory and memory protection work that are irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
            X