Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Posts New ASI Patches For KVM To Help Fight Off Speculative Execution Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Posts New ASI Patches For KVM To Help Fight Off Speculative Execution Attacks

Phoronix: Google Posts New ASI Patches For KVM To Help Fight Off Speculative Execution Attacks

Google engineers have posted a big patch series for Linux as they work on a new Address Space Isolation implementation for KVM to help mitigate various types of speculative execution attacks...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

for those wondering, stunning=forced idling

in this case for sibling hyperthrreads after coming out of the VM (I think?)

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
      for those wondering, stunning=forced idling

in this case for sibling hyperthrreads after coming out of the VM (I think?)
      Thanks... I was wondering. So then basically this has the same effect as disabling speculation for the sibling (by halting the sibling), during the vulnerable page table access window. That's a lot cheaper than flushing the cache.

I searched pretty extensively and couldn't find any references. If you have any references, I'd like to read about it in more detail! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

Thanks... I was wondering. So then basically this has the same effect as disabling speculation for the sibling (by halting the sibling), during the vulnerable page table access window. That's a lot cheaper than flushing the cache.

I searched pretty extensively and couldn't find any references. If you have any references, I'd like to read about it in more detail! :-)
        It popped up in communication about the patches themselves. I didn't make a note of the messages though.

Comment

Working...
        X