No announcement yet.

Intel Joins RISC-V International, Will Help With RISC-V Open-Source Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Joins RISC-V International, Will Help With RISC-V Open-Source Software

Phoronix: Intel Joins RISC-V International, Will Help With RISC-V Open-Source Software

Intel Foundry Services already courted SiFive as a customer and there were even those talks last year of Intel reportedly trying to acquire that leading RISC-V chip designer while today Intel has announced it joined RISC-V International as its latest move around this open-source processor ISA...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Plot twist: Nvidia acquires SiFive after the failed attempt to acquire ARM

Comment

RISC-V now w/ 100% more hardware vulnerabilities courtesy of Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
        Plot twist: Nvidia acquires SiFive after the failed attempt to acquire ARM
        Nah. Nvidia tried to scoop up ARM at almost the perfect time. ARM was finally truly competitive in Enterprise, meaning Nvidia had a clear path to the CPU side where they were already leading in GPU compute. RISC-V isn't even close to that level yet.

Comment

Ahh... Intel me et al security features are deamons chasing the innocent arch's to poses them. Please can one exorcise them....?

Comment

I would love for Intel to create a single-board computer using the RISC-V architecture with Intel Xe graphics. Maybe with Intel audio, Intel Wi-Fi and Intel Ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I would love for Intel to create a single-board computer using the RISC-V architecture with Intel Xe graphics. Maybe with Intel audio, Intel Wi-Fi and Intel Ethernet.
              Frankly I don't get the point. That the RISC-V ISA is free doesn't change the fact that manufacturers can (and absolutely WILL) implement antifeatures in the chips. Any Intel CPU will have its ME, subscription traps and other backdoors built-in regardless of its instruction set.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

Nah. Nvidia tried to scoop up ARM at almost the perfect time. ARM was finally truly competitive in Enterprise, meaning Nvidia had a clear path to the CPU side where they were already leading in GPU compute. RISC-V isn't even close to that level yet.
                ARM does not make server CPUs, they make CPU design IP that could be made into a server CPU. I doubt they even have a fully designed server chip anywhere at the company.

Comment

Makes sense. Intel's own manufacturing capabilities are so bad, they outsourced to TSMC and now need others to fill the void in their fabs.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

Frankly I don't get the point. That the RISC-V ISA is free doesn't change the fact that manufacturers can (and absolutely WILL) implement antifeatures in the chips. Any Intel CPU will have its ME, subscription traps and other backdoors built-in regardless of its instruction set.
                    Yes, but maybe it will be high performance. Imagine all the technical skills, know-how and competence at Intel, if they could apply that in creating a great RISC-V CPU. The Apple M1 crushes both Intel and AMD offerings. The x86 architecture is so inefficient.

Comment

Working...
                    X