X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by Chrispynut View Post

Zen 4 will be AM5, not AM4, unless you're seeing different leaks to me and they turn out to be correct and mine incorrect.
    My bad, I meant the last one released for the AM4 socket. Misspoke and said Zen4. Thanks for the correction.

Leave a comment:

• blackshard
    replied
    Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Honestly, comments like this make me wonder why there apparently isn't a proper communication channel inside AMD between different divisions?

I mean, why then will the Steam Deck ship with the AMD p-state CPU driver + schedutil?
    You say that the decision-making logic should be left up to the hardware to decide, while schedutil proponents argue that the hardware can't possibly have a clue about OS run-time queues of all the different threads interacting with each other.

So, which one is it?
    And who has the final say on what is best for the upcoming Steam Deck?
    What does this comment mean?
    It's an opinion, an a pretty valid too.

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post

Aside from the "muuhh spy" issue, it's the same thing or WORSE for the Linux side.

The only desktop system that is managing to save itself yet (I don't know how long) is MacOS.
    Save from what? It's nearly as much insecure as Windows and even slower. The only thing that 'saves' it is hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Chrispynut
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I'm still looking for the right board (I need debug LEDs, QFlash and whatnot). If I can't find a decent deal, I am willing to wait for H670.
    So, this one (Aorus Pro)? https://youtu.be/C0pluVy5EFg (though (un)fortunately, it's DDR5)

Leave a comment:

• Chrispynut
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
    I don't disagree that Zen had its own growing pains, but I'm talking about where everything stands in Q4 2021. I didn't *have* to buy the 5800X, but I know for $299, that's a buy that's going to last me many years. And on top of that, I have an upgrade path with the new Zen4 that comes out.
    Zen 4 will be AM5, not AM4, unless you're seeing different leaks to me and they turn out to be correct and mine incorrect.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    ...And yes, if you have to buy right now, AMD wins on the motherboard front.
    USB is still a train-wreck on 500 series boards as I hear (notably with VR), and I have odd issues even on X470 still. The Intel motherboards I've had (Skylake, Kaby, Coffee) all handled whatever USB devices and config no problem; the oddest set-up was 3 Oculus Rift sensors and USB audio card on a USB hub.

Leave a comment:

• sophisticles
    replied
    Rotflmao!

Leave a comment:

• rabcor
    replied
    So the alder lake drivers for linux are gimped? good to know.

Leave a comment:

• Mario Junior
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    Butbutbut… Windows is supposed to be the slow one. This is not fair!!!
    Aside from the "muuhh spy" issue, it's the same thing or WORSE for the Linux side.

The only desktop system that is managing to save itself yet (I don't know how long) is MacOS.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxxx
    replied
    Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    I suspect windows CPU freq governor does a better job than the current ones on Linux. At least on x86 CPUs, it's probably better to let the platform handle it autonomously rather than trying to constantly determine the best frequency and walking through a continuous range of frequencies every time it checks. This probably also explains the poor performance behaviour a lot of people have seen with the AMD pstate driver (and possibly the intel pstate driver as well). With CPPC, you have a continuous scale of frequencies while with the old ACPI pstate interface you only had three, so you tend not to fall into continuously changing trying to pick the best frequency.
    Honestly, comments like this make me wonder why there apparently isn't a proper communication channel inside AMD between different divisions?

I mean, why then will the Steam Deck ship with the AMD p-state CPU driver + schedutil?
    You say that the decision-making logic should be left up to the hardware to decide, while schedutil proponents argue that the hardware can't possibly have a clue about OS run-time queues of all the different threads interacting with each other.

So, which one is it?
    And who has the final say on what is best for the upcoming Steam Deck?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X