Alibaba Reports Their XT910 RISC-V Core To Be Faster Than An Arm Cortex-A73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alibaba Reports Their XT910 RISC-V Core To Be Faster Than An Arm Cortex-A73

Phoronix: Alibaba Reports Their XT910 RISC-V Core To Be Faster Than An Arm Cortex-A73

A few weeks back Alibaba announced the "XT910" as the fastest RISC-V processor featuring 16 cores and clock speeds up to 2.5GHz while being manufactured on a 12nm node. This by far beats most RISC-V hardware currently available and now at this week's Hot Chips conference the Chinese company is reporting that the XT910 is faster than an Arm Cortex-A73...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

does this mean it will be available as consumer product (like raspi, beagleboone etc thingy) soon? Otherwise I can not think that it will attract developers.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
      does this mean it will be available as consumer product (like raspi, beagleboone etc thingy) soon? Otherwise I can not think that it will attract developers.
      FPGA X910 already deployed in Alibaba cloud

Comment

I've always thought that the RISC-V crowd needs something akin to a raspberry pi; a decent performing sub-$100 SBC that runs linux. SiFive's developer board was too expensive (> $1000) and availability was basically zero anyway.

That's the way to get widespread usage among hobbyists and academics, and that provides a wedge into the larger market. Right now the 'wedge' is a bunch of embedded applications, but that's honestly just not very interesting to the majority of people. Heck 680x0 variants are still used in embedded. It's just too esoteric.

Comment

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
          Heck 680x0 variants are still used in embedded.
          And the 8051 architecture is still going strong in the embedded space too.

Comment

Claiming "faster" does not say much at all.
            Assuming we have atleast one valid method of measuring...
            Spent transistor budget?
            Spent floorplan layout?
            Spent power budget?
            Etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by igxqrrl View Post
              I've always thought that the RISC-V crowd needs something akin to a raspberry pi; a decent performing sub-$100 SBC that runs linux. SiFive's developer board was too expensive (> $1000) and availability was basically zero anyway.

That's the way to get widespread usage among hobbyists and academics, and that provides a wedge into the larger market.
              Raspberry PI also includes a GPU and a video output, which makes it much more accessible. This thing doesn't.

Comment

Definitely good, but it's not a huge deal that it's faster than A73. It should probably be compared to more recent ARM designs, which are less toy-ish .

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

And the 8051 architecture is still going strong in the embedded space too.
                  Let's just say that it's a completely different programming experience when you only have 128 bytes of RAM

(personally I like the Atmel variants best, including 8 bit ones).

Comment

You've heard of Alibaba, forty thieves had he, out for what we all want, lots of LSD.

Comment

Working...
                    X