Haiku R1 Beta 2 "Open-Source BeOS" Operating System Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
    The first beta was too crash-happy on real hardware (I mean real kernel panics), and it's still nowhere near the snappiness of the original BeOS. Still nice to have though.

But honestly I'd be more interested in an open-source OS/2 clone.

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post
      The first beta was too crash-happy on real hardware (I mean real kernel panics), and it's still nowhere near the snappiness of the original BeOS. Still nice to have though.

But honestly I'd be more interested in an open-source OS/2 clone.
      Yes please. I have an old IBM thinkpad 770 that I would have loved to have installed a newer version of OS/2 on, I mostly got OS/2 Warp on there, but it's a play around with system, and I don't want to fork out the large amounts of cash for the commercial OS/2 warp versions out there...

Comment

20 years and still in beta.
        That's great.

Comment

It's pretty usable. I run it on my AMD Ryzen 2700X with an Radeon RX 590. Snappy and super fast.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post

Yes please. I have an old IBM thinkpad 770 that I would have loved to have installed a newer version of OS/2 on, I mostly got OS/2 Warp on there, but it's a play around with system, and I don't want to fork out the large amounts of cash for the commercial OS/2 warp versions out there...
            I run OS/2 Warp in a VM just fine on Linux. There are several webpages describing the process.

With todays CPU's it runs lightning fast in a VM. I think what amazes people is that PM can run in 512Mb so easily.

ArcaOS (~ to OS/2 Warp5) is $149 w/o maintenance last I checked.

Comment

Originally posted by boboviz View Post
              That's great.
              Wine didn't have a stable release for more than 20 years. Nothing wrong with it. Haiku always works fine for me, and I never even used the alpha or beta; I only use nightly.

Comment

That's great.
                20 years later and major Linux DEs continue to throw set in stone UI conventions in the wastebasket.

Comment

That's great.
                  Yes, it is. 99% of it was built from scratch, since Be went under with only open-sourcing the Deskbar.

Now go write something along those lines. Pick Win3.1 to make it easier. See how long until you have something you can call a pre-alpha.

Comment

Working...
                  X