Linux 5.6 Is The First Kernel For 32-Bit Systems Ready To Run Past Year 2038

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    Distros are dropping 32bit support left and right today, who's gonna be running 32bit Linux 18 years from now?
    Whist i think that 32 bit should have been canned from mainline long ago, there will be people running it way past 2038 so this work is vital. Good job guys.

We should nip 64bit t_time in the bud tho. I mean is 292,277,026,596 that long away now? I am pretty sure there will be a few old P3 deskpros still running then , them things be tanks !

Comment

Distros are dropping 32bit support left and right today, who's gonna be running 32bit Linux 18 years from now?
      Isn't Raspberry Pi's Raspbian kernel 32-bit?

I am pretty sure out of *all* computers in existence today, the Raspberry Pi will be most likely to still have a few boards in operation.

The OpenBSD guys wrote a time_t song when they future-proofed their kernel back in 5.5: https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#55
      Play it on your car speakers at full volume on the way to work.
      Last edited by kpedersen; 30 January 2020, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

FreeDOS keeps industry running. Given that I’m not sure why anybody would back port this fix. By the time 2038 rolls around kernel 13.13.13 will be the thing.
        Speaking of FreeDOS, is this an issue there as well?

Comment

Embedded systems. At my workplace we still maintain a VMS/VAX workstation, a Windows 3.11 machine, and a few DEC branded workstations. We still support systems that are run on Intel 286's and Motorola 68k's. Not everything needs that much firepower.

Comment

I work for an embedded OS, and we have trouble selling the 32-bit version even today. That said, there's sweatshops in Shenzhen that are churning out toasters and washing machines using knockoff 8-bit processors even today, so there are probably similar using 32-bit chips and it's possible their product will last for 18 years (if kept in its original packaging in a pure nitrogen atmosphere at controlled temperature and pressure). The people who own those companies need a free 32-bit OS that will still work in 2038.

It's not about your personal desktop, it's about the more common frequently encountered computers out there. Chances are you paid nothing for your free operating system so your value in this equation is also nothing. On the other hand, most of the Shenzhen Sweatshops are owned by rich people who also have interests in American branding and marketing organizations (HP, Dell, Apple, etc) and stand to lose slim margins without 32-bit kernel support, and have actually paid developers to make it happen.

Comment

32bit processors have little value for the general public.

Specialized sectors might still have a use for it, even in 2038.

32bit time_t is an abomination, can we please all use a 64bit time_t and stop bikeshedding on how many bits the rest of the runtime should use for their pointers?

Comment

people like rene that have an extensive collection of old hardware and some Debian users.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  You know, 18 years ago people said the same thing about DOS and yet last month FreeDOS dropped another release candidate for the next version.
                  Most legacy stuff is still running its own original DOS, FreeDOS is not related to that.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

There will exist professional historians running 32-bit Linux applications in year 7235.
                    In the year 2525
                    If Linux is still alive
                    If BSD can survive
                    They may find

Comment

For all of you saying "this is done for smart phones" or "think about embedded applications", no, that's not a realistic use-case. Most of those devices never went past the 3.4 kernel, and I'm sure a huge number of them are on 2.6.

The reason people are holding onto those ancient devices is because they don't have the resources (like time or money) to replace them, let alone upgrade them. Unfortunately, a lot of people and organizations depend on them.

Comment

Working...
                      X