The Workaround To Boot Linux On AMD Threadripper 3960X/3970X Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Workaround To Boot Linux On AMD Threadripper 3960X/3970X Systems

Phoronix: The Workaround To Boot Linux On AMD Threadripper 3960X/3970X Systems

As outlined in our AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X / 3970X Linux review, these new Zen 2 Threadripper processors are phenomenal processors that offer significant uplift over earlier Threadripper CPUs and easily dominate over Intel's Core i9 HEDT competition. But there is one big issue right now with the Linux support: on Ubuntu and the like, it doesn't boot without a workaround. Here's that workaround for easy future reference...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this somehow specific to Threadripper's mce? Because both el7 and el8 boot just fine on epyc rome. Are their mce implementation too old to be affected?

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      Is this somehow specific to Threadripper's mce? Because both el7 and el8 boot just fine on epyc rome. Are their mce implementation too old to be affected?
      I run Rome fine on Ubuntu 19.10 and others, it's an AMD MCE behavior I have not seen with other processors besides the 3960X/3970X.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The big question is this; does this impact performance?

Comment

No, just detection of hardware problems.

Comment

Another rough launch by AMD, their lagging software support is hurting them despite having a hardware advantage right now. I really wonder why this wasn't sent in for 5.4, it seems clear that linux support is towards the bottom of their priorities.

Comment

I have to agree: AMD should sort out Linux support before launch, ESPECIALLY on workstation CPUs that are often used with Linux. There's really no excuse! AMD should have the money to expand their teams, please make sure something like that won't happen again in the future.

Comment

It seems like they have no Linux QA at all. It's hard to miss not booting.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                  It's more likely their Linux QA only checks LTS releases (e.g. RHEL and Ubuntu LTS) before releasing.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                    For a company that big, testing on all currently supported OSes should be a standard.

Comment

Working...
                    X