AMD's Athlon 3000G Processor Begins Shipping At $49 USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
    How does 2 core 4 threads compare to 4 cores 4 threads? I have a Skylake i5-6500 which is 4/4 cores/threads at 3.2GHz turbo to 3.6GHz, probably paid ~4x the price for it back in 2016 than this $49 AMD part. I assume the additional cores make a difference? Or is the architecture/age difference between the two going to narrow that a fair bit?
    so - in general - SMT gives ~30% perf over on top of the core. so 130% total.
    2/4 will give ~ 260%
    4/4 will give 400%

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post

What the ...? Aren't 3000 series APU based on Zen+ 12nm?
      There seems to be confusion regarding if this is 14nm or 12nm. The Asrock A300 CPU support list suggests it is 12nm, i.e. it is a cut down Picasso 3200G, rather than a cut down Raven Ridge 2200G.

AMD AM4 Socket CPU, - Picasso, Raven Ridge, Bristol Ridge, up to 65W, - Support MAX Height ≦ 46mm CPU CoolerHigh-Speed DDR4 Memory, - DDR4-2933MHz (Ryzen), - DDR4-2400MHz (A-series)Dual Ultra M.2 (NVMe), - M2_1 M.2 (2280) – PCIe Gen3 x4, - M2_2 M.2 (2280) – PCIe Gen3 x2/x42 x 2.5 SATA 6Gb Hard DriveSupport RAID 0/1 functionHDMI, DisplayPort, D-SubAMD Fluid Motion TechnologyM.2 For Wi-Fi ModuleUSB 3.1 Gen1 Type-C

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

If you do that, please test it on a cheap and low end motherboard. These day I say a YT channel testing those cheap AMD APUs on some expensive, full ATX mobo (because it was what they had on hand), which is ridiculous. Not only is not something most people will do, but will also give power consumption above of what you expect from it.
        German heise.de had a test already with power numbers, they also explained in the forum that their earlier low-watt sugegstion was based on a chipset-less board (all APU-SoC-powered) and thus was close to something like (iirc) 7 W vs. what they measured with larger mainboards w. additional chipset.
        They measured 23.8 W idle (3000G) vs. 18.7 W with the 200GE vs. less in an article in their printed mag (with the suggestions for low-wattage PCs).
        (Probably you can downtune this slightly by chosing other boards, using powertop and undervolting.)

link

News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.

(this was explaining B450 vs. A300 chipset)
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
          https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-athlon-3000g
          CMOS 14nm
          What the ...? Aren't 3000 series APU based on Zen+ 12nm?
          It's $49. These are likely made from whatever stockpiles of (semi-working) 14nm Zens AMD have lying around that they now can't shift because its old.
          AMD have decided to make a little money from them instead of junking them. I bet if they run out of 14nm dies they will move silently (or minor brand change) to the 12nm Zen+ RR dies, at some point after 7nm APUs launch next year.

Note that there is allegedly/rumoured a 2C/3CU 12nm die called Raven Ridge 2, IMO that would be the sensible choice to use. I don't think these have really been seen in the wild.
          Last edited by sykobee; 20 November 2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

I was thinking the exact same thing.
            "ASRock DeskMini A300" supports only non-ECC RAM does NOT support ECC RAM (Unbuffered), unlike many low cost ASUS motherboards, that support Unbuffered ECC for Ryzen.
            You really, really need ECC RAM for your NAS, in order not to garble your saved data..

So NO, Asrock, no, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
              Oh boy, gimme a MiniITX board with 4-6 Sata ports and we're sold!
              What's the point of an ITX mobo when you're going to add more drives than will fit in an ITX case? (Not being snarky: I genuinely don't see the point - especially when mATX would double the lifespan for almost no increase in volume at that point).

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
                At some point AMD will need to drop AM4 to move the platform forward. This especially if a high core count machine is in your future.
                Agreed on part 1, but part 2? The 3950X is a *16C/32T* part. If that doesn't fit your definition of "high core count", what does?

Comment

There are already some performance tests of the new Athlon 3000G on the internet and it looks pretty good for the price tag. Nevertheless, I am so much looking forward to see the new Athlon 3000G tested here on Phoronix. I am eager to see, how the new Athlon 3000G will perform and behave on Linux.

PS: Do I see a new king of the budget builds?

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post

"ASRock DeskMini A300" supports only non-ECC RAM does NOT support ECC RAM (Unbuffered), unlike many low cost ASUS motherboards, that support Unbuffered ECC for Ryzen.
                    You really, really need ECC RAM for your NAS, in order not to garble your saved data..

So NO, Asrock, no, thanks.
                    Hate to garble your saved thoughts on this, probably because the Asus DeskMini isn't a NAS candidate by design, hence the name.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

What's the point of an ITX mobo when you're going to add more drives than will fit in an ITX case? (Not being snarky: I genuinely don't see the point - especially when mATX would double the lifespan for almost no increase in volume at that point).
                      I use mini-itx boxes that can fit four drives. I forgo the optical media usuall, because there's two slots right there, if not three, depending on layout (the design engineers imagination/spatial awareness)
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X