Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 10900 Series Coming With Competitive Pricing For Taking On Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is very interesting to me. I am planning to build an AMD Ryzen 3950X based system since July, but due to the delays, looks like I won't get it before mid November. With this announcement however, I might hold off for a couple more weeks and see the benchmarks before I commit the 3950x. This was going to be my first AMD CPU in a decade, but maybe that's no longer the case.

Comment

Intel is definitely in panic mode.
      And I'm afraid that this is only the beginning for Intel... TR on Zen2 is coming, Ryzen 9 PRO is coming.
      If those result are correct then Ryzen 9 Pro looks very interesting.

On brighter side:
      - it also apparently this lineup will have some sort of in hardware mitigations
      - new turbo algo

More info here.

Not good ;/ I was planning, owning already x299, to go AMD side but it seams I will stay on dark side for little while.
      Last edited by Noname; 02 October 2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        There is a big catch here. Those 72 lanes are not direct to the CPU, but use a bridge/switcher. The real number is 48. Meanwhile Threadripper have 64, direct to the CPU, no switches needed.
        Oh look, Intel doing stupid shenanigans, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoll View Post
          This is very interesting to me. I am planning to build an AMD Ryzen 3950X based system since July, but due to the delays, looks like I won't get it before mid November. With this announcement however, I might hold off for a couple more weeks and see the benchmarks before I commit the 3950x. This was going to be my first AMD CPU in a decade, but maybe that's no longer the case.
          Good thinking about waiting for reviews first, but keep the finger on the trigger for the purchase of the 3950x, Intel is still very likely to lose badly. Again.

Comment

I actually do think that's competitively priced. Still too expensive, but not laughably overpriced.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

There is a big catch here. Those 72 lanes are not direct to the CPU, but use a bridge/switcher. The real number is 48. Meanwhile Threadripper have 64, direct to the CPU, no switches needed.
              You beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Comment

This is good news. Competition in the market is good for everyone.

I assume that it won't be that great against Zen2 Threadrippers, but a price cut is still great news. Personally, I'd go with AMD this time, as their hardware seems to fare much better when it comes to security. I'd rather feel safe that my CPU isn't losing performance every month, and reaching a point where disabling SMT is necessary to be somewhat safe.

Comment

Best of luck to the folks at Intel.

Comment

Gotta admit... These price drops are nothing to scoff at. But I think, at least for me, the pricing is the 2nd most interesting point of Cascade Lake X... The biggest is that it's x299 LGA2066 socket compatible. This means that for the first time in a _VERY_ long time, an Intel socket will have been compatible with 3 CPU "generations". I think this is possibly an even bigger indicator of the pressure that AMD is putting on Intel than the pricing.

I have 3 LGA2066 systems in my house... and if Cascade Lake X has the latest hardware security mitigations... There's a pretty decent chance I may just upgrade all 3 thanks to this pricing. It would be a lot of money and time to upgrade all 3 of these boxes with new CPU's _AND_ AMD compatible motherboards (I might be able to keep the memory at least)...

However, that won't be the whole story for me... I will 95% likely upgrade my primary system to TR3 a few months after launch... Once all the issues have been ironed out. Seems there's been some early adoption issues for AMD users, especially for us Linux folk. I think these new Intel chips at these prices will be a nice stopgap until I can eventually the rest of my systems.

I don't expect much performance jump at all over Skylake X... But finally I would be free of Meltdown, MDS, etc as it appears Cascade Lake X will have all of the latest security fixes assuming it has all the same fixes as Cascade Lake Xeons:

However, if this is not the case... Intel can kiss my ass.

However, I do think for this generation, I think it makes sense for probably even the most ardent Intel fanboys to go with AMD. This competition is already clearly going to start massively benefiting everyone!

Comment

What is this versioning mess? I thought it was going to be 10xx G7, or so?

Comment

Working...
                      X