Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Core i9 10900 Series Coming With Competitive Pricing For Taking On Threadripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Core i9 10900 Series Coming With Competitive Pricing For Taking On Threadripper

Phoronix: Intel Core i9 10900 Series Coming With Competitive Pricing For Taking On Threadripper

Details have emerged on Intel's forthcoming Core i9 10900 X-Series processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't wait to see the benchmarks against the new Threadripper and which provides the better value but I presume even Intel's price cuts won't save them from getting slaughtered in the performance/price per core metric.

Comment

Yeah, I take issue with the use of the word 'competetive' here. How about "not as awful". But it's not competetive.

Comment

I'd be worried more about real world metrics and whether or not the many performance detrimental mitigations against Intel's sloppy architectural decisions are applicable to the 10900 series of CPUs as well, especially with part of the core audience going to be considering virtual machine security where Intel has failed miserably in the past several years.

I realize AMD hasn't had the same scrutiny as Intel has had, but when you already know you have to take a sizable percentage of performance from Intel CPU systems that makes their prices even less reasonable when AMD doesn't need the same mitigations so their performance is far less affected from their original metrics.
        Last edited by stormcrow; 02 October 2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

That sure is looks like a nice change of pace for Intel after so many years of stagnation in terms of both performance and price. Looking at how those chips are spec'd and priced it seems like Intel is taking dead aim at AMD's new Ryzen 9 series, not Threadripper, as they're pretty damn close and the Zen 3 Threadripper chips haven't been officially announced yet.

Ryzen 9 3900X: 12C/24T - 500 €/$
          i9 10900 X: 10C/20T - 590 $

Ryzen 9 3950X: 16C/32T - 750 €/$
          i9 10980 XE: 18C/36T - 970 €/$

It's also worth pointing out that while the i9 series is going to need a pretty expensive motherboard, the Ryzen 9 series use the standard AM4 socket and will work with some pretty modestly spec'd and priced motherboards.

If the availability issues with the Ryzen 9 3900X (the only 9 series CPU available after the 3950X got pushed back to November) are anything to go by it sounds like AMD really are poised to eat Intel's lunch in the high margin workstation market. The first Threadrippers absolutely got AMD's foot in between the door, the Ryzen 9 seems to have further expanded this and I get the feeling that the Zen 3 Threadrippers (which are supposed to top out at 32C/64) have Intel genuinely scared. Hopefully after those come out Intel is forced to do another 1up like this and provide even better performance and value.
          Last edited by L_A_G; 02 October 2019, 10:18 AM.

Comment

This chip is available in November according to this Intel release.
            TR3000 is available in November according to AMD.

It'll be an interesting battle, but when TR3000 starts at 24C and this tops out at 18C it could be a bit of a bashing, still. But the new Intel pricing is far more realistic.

And the $749 Ryzen 3950X will exist as a 16C option on a cheaper non-HEDT (arguable in my opinion, X570 boards are very featureful) platform (PCIe 4 is still a bonus, but fewer lanes).

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
              This chip is available in November according to this Intel release.
              TR3000 is available in November according to AMD.

It'll be an interesting battle, but when TR3000 starts at 24C and this tops out at 18C it could be a bit of a bashing, still. But the new Intel pricing is far more realistic.

And the $749 Ryzen 3950X will exist as a 16C option on a cheaper non-HEDT (arguable in my opinion, X570 boards are very featureful) platform (PCIe 4 is still a bonus, but fewer lanes).
              If the leaks are to be trusted the new i9 12/24 threads barely competes with the 3900x (being barely the keyword here), expect Threadripper 3000 to rip Intel a new one on launch

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

If the leaks are to be trusted the new i9 12/24 threads barely competes with the 3900x (being barely the keyword here), expect Threadripper 3000 to rip Intel a new one on launch
                Indeed, Intel's on chip mesh and or bus also historically doesn't scale as well as AMD's infinity fabric... at higher thread counts it remains to be seen if they have fixed that.

Comment

The Intel Core i9 10900 series will feature support for up to 72 PCIe lanes
                  There is a big catch here. Those 72 lanes are not direct to the CPU, but use a bridge/switcher. The real number is 48. Meanwhile Threadripper have 64, direct to the CPU, no switches needed.

Comment

Interesting news with dramatically lower Intel pricing. We can all say 'Thanks AMD Ryzen' !

Comment

Working...
                    X