Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Is Hiring For Coreboot Development, Sponsoring Open-Source Firmware Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Only sith reason by absolutes.
    When it comes to privacy and control only Sith are correct. There is no between. It's either or.

Comment

Only sith reason by absolutes.
      Only morons say stuff with no meaning.

Comment

does this mean that coreboot might be available for newer amd motherboards?

Comment

Originally posted by madscientist159 View Post
          This still doesn't (and won't) address the literal root of the problem on AMD systems: the PSP.
          Ain't nothing wrong with PSP because AMD is the Holy Grail, they never do anything wrong, only Intel is a bad guy.

Comment

No. Full stop. Just no, by design.

The PSP firmware is cryptographically signed with a strong key. The hardware itself checks the signature before allowing the firmware to start. There is no running custom anything on the PSP without AMD's direct blessing (signing the firmware). Period.
            On older Zen CPUs, you can supposedly just abuse a handy AMD-signed header saying that none of the rest of the data has to be signed in order to execute your own arbitrary PSP code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2YsxSj6zE I'm not sure how accurate this is since I haven't heard of anyone replicating it yet. The PSP code also doesn't seem to be all that secret; it's apparently just unencrypted ARM code.

Comment

Originally posted by makomk View Post

On older Zen CPUs, you can supposedly just abuse a handy AMD-signed header saying that none of the rest of the data has to be signed in order to execute your own arbitrary PSP code: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW2YsxSj6zE I'm not sure how accurate this is since I haven't heard of anyone replicating it yet. The PSP code also doesn't seem to be all that secret; it's apparently just unencrypted ARM code.
              What timecode in the video did you see that? All I saw was a mention of the older, fairly well known SMU hack which is fundamentally very different than a PSP hack.

If you can in fact execute arbitrary unsigned code inside the PSP post- PSP boot, that's a massive security hole that strongly reinforces the idea the PSP is an unwanted, insufficiently protected attack surface.

No one said the ARM code was encrypted. The complaints have always stemmed from the fact that it's half a meg or more of vendor-mutable, user-unmodifiable, completely unremovable proprietary firmware that AMD updates whenever it wants for any reason. It's vulnerable without additional security hardware to targeted supply chain and distribution attack (e.g. if AMD is acting under direction of investigators due to the CLOUD act) and would have to be fully reverse engineered and audited every single time AMD issues an update. The latter action is a legal risk in the US, so you become fully dependent on both AMD choosing not to include malware (ask some Lenovo owners how they liked trusting Lenovo in that way, and if their payout fully compensated them for their losses) and individuals in foreign jurisdictions choosing to do the reverse engineering and auditing work publicly.

Again, I get the attractiveness of Rome's performance. I've also been around long enough to know it's always temporary; vendors will jockey around and produce competing silicon soon as they always have, whereas choosing a pair of (digital) handcuffs is a rather more permanent action. Look at all the people that are (presumably) using Windows since the NT days, when Microsoft was significantly more benign and certainly didn't mandate the theft of your data to use the OS, and what those people have locked themselves into now with Windows 10 and its invasive privacy policy. If you just want the latest shiny toy, by all means buy an AMD processor and put your faith in AMD to do the right thing even if it works against their bottom line. If you actually need to protect data, assure business continuance, etc. while still having decent compute, there are other options on the market right now from various vendors, be it ARM or POWER -- no faith required.

Closing thought: If the PSP is so benign, why can't we get a tiny signed firmware from AMD that does nothing else except release the x86 cores from reset and put the PSP in a while loop? Maybe 100 instructions or less, nicely auditable, tiny attack surface. Why do they insist on the PSP running in full fat mode on every system?
              Last edited by madscientist159; 01 September 2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                Only morons say stuff with no meaning.
                only morons don't know the meaning of that

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
                  When it comes to privacy and control only Sith are correct. There is no between. It's either or.
                  Bullshit, security, safety and privacy are a spectrum.

There is no such thing as "perfectly safe" or "perfectly private" or "that you perfectly control".

Comment

Bullshit, security, safety and privacy are a spectrum.

There is no such thing as "perfectly safe" or "perfectly private" or "that you perfectly control".
                    I have a construction hammer that I keep in my garage. Unless someone steals that hammer by breaking into my garage, I do believe I am the only one that can control that hammer, unless I decide to grant (exercising my control) the ability to use the hammer to another person. It's not going to leap out of my tool bucket and start pounding dents into my car, or decide that today I will not be able to use it and fuse itself into to the concrete. It is about as perfectly under my sole control as anything can be.

Before the DMCA and these modern concepts of firmware, in fact everything was by default perfectly under the control of its owner. Your shades of grey only started to come into play when people blurred the line between ownership and rental to save money. Trying to say that is the only option now, especially with open ISA systems growing rapidly, is laughable and smacks of desperation to justify an AMD CPU purchase.

Comment

Why? What are you actually gaining, besides a pile of trouble when the partly-open firmware doesn't have official OEM support available?
                      same thing i gain with open software
                      The PSP firmware is not hardware. Not even by FSF rules.
                      i don't care about fsf rules. everything below os can be considered hardware

Comment

Working...
                      X