No announcement yet.

Linux's 32-Bit Kernel Has Been Buggy Since Being Mitigated For Meltdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe I should be glad I don't always compile the latest and greatest kernel for all the relatively new 32 bit only X86 hardware I have under maintenance.

Comment

It's remarkable how many people in the comments are confusing 64bit processing with 64bit memory addressing. 32bit programs can use 64bit memory addressing, 64bit processing is to do with enabling the CPU to do larger calulations, store larger numbers in their registers and improving performance by enabling new optimisations.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        I think you need a relatively recent SSD to make quick pre-allocation work with NTFS & native Windows.
        It's with non SSD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

So do I; that doesn't change requiring the use of best the possible hardware available in critical environments like hospitals where every second matters.
          I agree as your pointa are absolutely valid, yet I know how hardware circulates between government institutions. A year and a half ago we sent 12 machines to nearest police station. 5 of them were 32 bit. I don't know if they still use it, but they were asking for free hardware. They were buying new cars at that time. At the same time in my branch main physical server broke, so replacement of old pcs had to be hold. Add another two new servers two that and your budget melts like an ice. Too be honest we didn't have enough money, but other dept share some part of their own after short negotiations. We ended up with 3 new servers, but were forced to keep 2 32bit machines. They are are still being used by apprentices for replying to emails, scanning documents, doing some office/writer and entering newly registered citizens credentials to data base. They are going to be replaced before october. Brutal but real.

Comment

Most Linux developers are employed by companies tied to clouds or server computer markets. They do not care about desktop users. All they care about is recent enterprise server hardware made within the past 4 years that would fill some data center. These sorts of people rule the roost. Ask Con Kolivas about it. Want to help Linux's desktop users? Linux's corporate developers will tell you get lost.

They do not care about desktop users, home users, schools, libaries, third world countries, and so on. They do not care about the e-waste problem, they are part of it. They use a server for maybe a few years and then toss it into a landfill or a third world scrap heap where people get lead poisoning from it. Maybe these companies should take some environmental responsibility and social responsibility for once and maybe donate used server hardware to schools and libraries with Linux installed rather than toss it all into landfills.

Comment

Originally posted by Spazturtle View Post
              It's remarkable how many people in the comments are confusing 64bit processing with 64bit memory addressing. 32bit programs can use 64bit memory addressing, 64bit processing is to do with enabling the CPU to do larger calulations, store larger numbers in their registers and improving performance by enabling new optimisations.
              64 Bit CPUs dont even use 64 bit addressing. They use 40 or 48 bit addresses. No consumer or business computer uses even enough RAM to fill the 40 bits. PAE allows a 32 bit CPU to access much more than 4 GB of ram with a limit well past RAM used by current server machines.

Lets debunk a few myths. 32 bit CPUs are still perfectly fine and work well for many applications. Support for 32 bit legacy programs on 64 bits CPU does not add overhead. This is because 32 bit and 64 bit share the same CPU circuitry and the same instruction set, meaning there is virtually no overhead in supporting 32 bit.

Supporting 32 bit is important because of the large amount of applications that only run on 32 bit mode. Many companies for instance only have a license for a 32 bit version of an application and many desktop users use 32 bit games for which there will never be a 64 bit release.

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                32 bit does NOT allow for specific process to access more than 3gb of ram, however. More specifically, many programs run out of address space, not actual ram even.

On top of that these 3gigs include disk cache, if you thought this wasn't bad enough. Also PAE incurs kernel cpu overhead.
                Last edited by xpue; 30 July 2019, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xpue View Post
                  32 bit does NOT allow for specific process to access more than 3gb of ram, however. More specifically, many programs run out of address space, not actual ram even.

On top of that these 3gigs include disk cache, if you thought this wasn't bad enough. Also PAE incurs kernel cpu overhead.
                  Yes but for a school or library or a developing nation, this is fine, because the other choice is no computer at all. 3 GB for a single process is huge and well above what most desktop applications need. So its the server bias thing again, maybe for people who have a huge server handling a gazillion web requests a second, its not enough. But for a school or library, or a developing nation, its wonderful. Not everyone is running a data center and needs a mainframe.

Comment

This whole thread has been very interesting. But I think a lot of you are missing the point of why it's possible for a significant bug to go unnoticed in a 32-bit linux kernel. There's not enough users to support it.

A quick disclaimer, I'm the maintainer of Liquorix kernel. I just removed support for 32-bit on the 5.2 kernel due to a report that my 32-bit kernels don't work for some super obscure bug [1]. What this tells me is that no one is testing 32-bit anymore other than, maybe it boots in a VM.

Plus, if one is using a 32-bit OS, what other things are they not upgrading? The feedback loop from introduction of a 32-bit specific bug to detection is approaching over a year. This means no one cares anymore, and the users that do care aren't willing to beta test by upgrading early and often, but only when they're forced to due (contracts, EOL software, client pressure, etc). Then when the bug is reported it's always extraordinary, like rampant memory corruption, something that should have been caught in days of release.

Also, I looked at the stats of those downloading 32-bit kernels versus 64-bit. For Liquorix it's 1 out of every 250, on average. To put that in perspective, to build a 32-bit kernel for both PAE and non-PAE takes twice the storage and twice the CPU power, but almost no one uses them. The only way you could feasibly support this configuration is if your test hardware, process, and time is subsidized by an organization that has spare time, hardware, and people to go around. For most people in open source, that means 32-bit is only being compiled because it can be compiled, not that the compiled code works reliably, or at all.

Yep, 32-bit as the OS is dead, and all these announcements that 32-bit images (and even packages), are going away are the symptoms that we've supported it for too long.

[1] https://techpatterns.com/forums/about2734.html

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post
                      64 Bit CPUs dont even use 64 bit addressing. They use 40 or 48 bit addresses. No consumer or business computer uses even enough RAM to fill the 40 bits.
                      Large business servers already can hold more than 40 bit of memory (1TB). I've had to work on a bug for a customer since snmpd's UCD MIB can't handle systems that have 3TB of memory.

Comment

Working...
                      X