No announcement yet.

Spectre/Meltdown Performance Impact Across Eight Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as Intel Management Engine is enabled, trying to make your system secure is impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
      Nor should they, if it lowers performance for desktop use.
      Security always lowers performance, even if they made it in hardware.

Does not justify "not giving a shit" and disregarding it for the sake of performance.
      Last edited by starshipeleven; 13 March 2019, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Security always lowers performance, even if they made it in hardware.

Does not justify "not giving a shit" and disregarding it for the sake of performance.
        Not necessarily, no. You can have optional security (i.e. only where it matters) or doing it in parallel. If it only adds latency, for example, then it's not a problem either.

I mean, nobody said you need performance when signing in to something sensitive or dealing with passwords or whatever encrypted stuff. But slowing down everything for the security of niche cases is what they shouldn't give a shit about just to satisfy some paranoid people.

Comment

I don't know ... this slowdown, without real consequences, reminds me of the specter of the millennium bug ...
          lots of money spent and a lot of media fright and then nothing happens ...
          meanwhile the companies will be able to sell you the next round of cpu that have the same performance as the old one ... but you will be safe ...
          hehehe

Comment

Would someone post instructions on how to disable the mitigations for Clear Linux? I am aware of the risks. I don't want to disable them on my Ubuntu daily work machine, just for a NUC where I'm doing a project on Clear Linux. Thanks.

Comment

Nevermind, I got it.

Comment

Working...
              X