Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux Foundation Is Teaming Up With RISC-V To Promote The Open-Source CPU ISA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux Foundation Is Teaming Up With RISC-V To Promote The Open-Source CPU ISA

Phoronix: The Linux Foundation Is Teaming Up With RISC-V To Promote The Open-Source CPU ISA

The Linux Foundation and RISC-V Foundation are announcing a joint collaboration effort today to promote open-source development and adoption around this royalty-free CPU instruction set architecture...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Umm. Isn't the ISA open source already? BSD License? At least for foundation members...
    I think that's more than enough. What we need are feature rich & high quality open _implementations_ in a properly structured RTL project.
    Every other push for "free" ISAs have failed because implementations were crap, slow, almost no features, embedded only, esoteric, nonexistent etc.
    Last edited by milkylainen; 27 November 2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      Umm. Isn't the ISA open source already? BSD License? Atleast for foundation members...
      I think that's more than enough. What we need are feature rich & high quality open _implementations_ in a properly structured RTL project.
      Every other push for "free" ISA's has failed because implementations were crap, slow, almost no features, embedded only, esoteric, nonexistent etc.
      you are right and that's the reason why i think this is a good idea.
      i hope this helps the linux-dev-community to see risc-v as a first class citizen soon

Comment

Second that. If you want an architecture to exist in a meaningful fashion, it needs workstation-class CPUs available. Get me that CPU, gcc, and a JRE, and I can use it as my desktop at work.

Comment

Proportionally to other architectures, RISC-V been unofficially promoted for quite a while. Patches to compilers... Modifications to the kernel vendoring... Even the pro-LLVM position. The foundation and the developers have been quite forthcoming.

Comment

I would like to see 96boards come out with some RISC-V system-on-a-chip.
            Something like Raspberry Pi.

Maybe two models, one simpler barebones just for IoT, and one stronger with USB, Ethernet, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Comment

Yeah that would be cool. A cheap board to get the Arch into more hands

Comment

How cheap is a "cheap board" (the full fat version with e.g. 2-4GB RAM and a quad core) ? ~$100?

Comment

Originally posted by ermo View Post
                  How cheap is a "cheap board" (the full fat version with e.g. 2-4GB RAM and a quad core) ? ~$100?
                  I would hope for around $35, like a Raspberry Pi.
                  Many ARM boards and ARM sticks are $50 or less.
                  HardKernel have some ODROID boards that are pretty good and cheap, around $49.

Comment

Would be nice to tinker with, but performance wise it has to compete with arm to be practical for people not into FOSS and (FOSH?) In current real world uses. Which brings me to a question: Does a free ISA mean a free implementation? I would imagine all the optimized logic bits would be developed by those with the means to which would likely patent the implementation. So, assuming an implementation can be closed with an open ISA, it will probably be a case where the performant implementations aren't free, but the slow ones are.
                    Right?

Comment

Working...
                    X