Intel Working On Improving Linux Virtualization With VT-d Scalable Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Working On Improving Linux Virtualization With VT-d Scalable Mode

Phoronix: Intel Working On Improving Linux Virtualization With VT-d Scalable Mode

Intel VT-d revision 3.0 adds a "Scalable Mode" translation mode for enabling Scalable I/O virtualization and the patches have been in the works for supporting this within the Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael Typo: Intel open-source developer Ashok Raj has written a detailed block post covering this
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Intel playing catch-up to AMD EPYC features, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
        Intel playing catch-up to AMD EPYC features, lol.
        The blogpost was a bit over my head to follow. What is the equivalent features on EPYC that already exist?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

The blogpost was a bit over my head to follow. What is the equivalent features on EPYC that already exist?
          The new intel feature is about making more effective use of limited bandwidth. SR-IOV is PCIe passthrough to a VM, which can be partitioned. This new intel feature allows for more fine grained partitioning. It is not a common use case, but when you only have 42 PCIe lanes to work with, and a huge number of high I/O virtual machines, a large server can become bandwidth constrained. EPYC solves this by offering 128 lanes of PCIe - triple the bandwidth of even the top Xeon platinum chip.

Essentially, this new feature allows intel chips to make better use of a finite resource. AMD chips solve this by providing more resources.
          Last edited by torsionbar28; 13 October 2018, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X