Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Current Linux Performance On 22 Intel / AMD Desktop Systems

Phoronix: The Current Linux Performance On 22 Intel / AMD Desktop Systems

For your Linux benchmark viewing pleasure today are test results from twenty-two distinct Intel / AMD systems when running a recent release of the performance-optimized Clear Linux distribution and the hardware spanning from old AMD FX and Intel Core i3 Haswell CPUs up through the high-end desktop Core i9 and Threadripper processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's truly amazing that the fastest consumer CPU's today can build the Linux kernel in around one minute. When I first started using Linux in the mid 1990's, compiling the kernel was an 8 hour job on my 486 DX 33. Eight hours. There was no point in running it during the day, so usually I'd kick it off late in the evening and it would be done by the following morning. Now we do the same thing in about a minute. Unreal!

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      same thing
      Also modern kernel takes much more resources to compile than kernel form 486 era.

Comment

thanks Michael for the benchmarks !

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          the results shouldn't be too surprise if you are up-to-date

Comment

I'm not seeing anything but a few lines of text in this article. Is your image server working?

Comment

Using the original Toy Story (circa 1995) as a base, how long did it take to render one frame and one second of video? How long would a modern system of today take to do the same?

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
                I'm not seeing anything but a few lines of text in this article. Is your image server working?
                Yes. Are you able to access https://openbenchmarking.org/ ? If not, email me your IP and can investigate.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by humdinger70 View Post
                  Using the original Toy Story (circa 1995) as a base, how long did it take to render one frame and one second of video? How long would a modern system of today take to do the same?
                  Unfortunately no open-source (or anything publicly available?) that offers a Toy Story test case per se, but the closest would be comparing Blender render performance like in this article (or similar proprietary 3D rendering applications).
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It would be nice to use a multi threaded mp3 converter like Sound K/Converter. It's not often we convert 1 file at a time. If I rip a CD all those cores are put to work, or when I copy my collection to a mp3 player it has to do 100's. This is where the AMD parts should shine and Intel's IPC less an issue.

Comment

Working...
                    X