Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIPS Shows Off Their New Linux Kernel Port To nanoMIPS

Phoronix: MIPS Shows Off Their New Linux Kernel Port To nanoMIPS

Earlier this week MIPS Technologies announced their new MIPS I7200 processor core built on the new nanoMIPS ISA. A day after they unveiled their new GCC port to this much-changed nanoMIPS instruction set and now today they sent out their initial Linux kernel patch for bringing up this new MIPS version that is coming with a new/updated kernel ABI...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

MIPS is a Microsoft program that allows them to "steal" data from MSE and Defender users. ISA is a legacy interconnect between motherboards and expansion cards.

Open projects have to stop stealing abbreviations. It's not funny anymore.

Comment

I don't know what the hell that Microsoft thing is but MIPS as an architecture has existed since 1985.

As for ISA, I don't know which came first but it's also an Individual Savings Account in this country. So what?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Open projects have to stop stealing abbreviations. It's not funny anymore.
        MIPS isn't an open architecture (in the sense that if you want to manufacture CPUs with that arch you need to buy a license), you post is 135% wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
          As for ISA, I don't know which came first but it's also an Individual Savings Account in this country. So what?
          Whether the Instruction Set Architecture or the "Industry Standard Architecture" was first doesn't matter too much, the author you challenged was wrong in a different way: the abbreviation for Instruction Set Architecture wasn't coined by the OSS world, but rather started emerging in literature as a more precise term for what was previously just referred to as "architecture", in an attempt to better disambiguate from the microarchitecture. If it wasn't already, Turing-award winners Hennessy and Patterson have made the use of the term "instruction set architecture" a de-facto standard in academia today, while the ISA bus has mostly lost its relevance in everyday computing.

Comment

In tech, there are a lot of TLA's (three letter acronyms.) Yes, MIPS is not a TLA.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
              In tech, there are a lot of TLA's (three letter acronyms.) Yes, MIPS is not a TLA.
              Translation-Look-Aside buffers?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                I don't know what the hell that Microsoft thing is but MIPS as an architecture has existed since 1985.
                Seriously, who hasn't heard of MIPS cpu's? They've been in everything from SGI workstations to Nintendo 64. From network routers to the Sony Playstation. Anyone who works in IT is familiar with MIPS processors. Heck even Windows OS was ported to MIPS at one time.

Googling "Microsoft MIPS" yields no results related to anything eydee described, not sure what the heck he's thinking of.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  Seriously, who hasn't heard of MIPS cpu's? They've been in everything from SGI workstations to Nintendo 64. [...]
                  Ah, I remember those.

Comment

Working...
                  X