KVM Updates For Linux 4.17 Bring VirtIO GPU Prep For S390, AMD Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KVM Updates For Linux 4.17 Bring VirtIO GPU Prep For S390, AMD Improvements

Phoronix: KVM Updates For Linux 4.17 Bring VirtIO GPU Prep For S390, AMD Improvements

The latest feature pull request for the Linux 4.17 kernel are the Kernel-based Virtual Machine (KVM) virtualization updates...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why Debian still can't add virgl3d support?

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
      Why Debian still can't add virgl3d support?
      The situation has been discussed in a few bug reports, including this one and this one. Although several issues are at play, one issue seems to be that, at least at one time, the headless server folks (who have no interest in virgl3d) claimed that virgl3d added too much overhead and so objected to it. Also, some claimed that virgl3d was still too buggy (and had security issues) and so supporting it would have been premature. But maybe (hopefully) that situation will soon change.

Although Ubuntu also still doesn't support virgl3d out-of-the-box (or at least it didn't when I lasted tried), an Ubuntu user has provided a ppa from which a build of QEMU that supports virgl3d can be downloaded. See comment #13 of this Ubuntu bug report. I'd guess that similar packages are available for Debain, somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoChicken View Post

The situation has been discussed in a few bug reports, including this one and this one. Although several issues are at play, one issue seems to be that, at least at one time, the headless server folks (who have no interest in virgl3d) claimed that virgl3d added too much overhead and so objected to it. Also, some claimed that virgl3d was still too buggy (and had security issues) and so supporting it would have been premature. But maybe (hopefully) that situation will soon change.

Although Ubuntu also still doesn't support virgl3d out-of-the-box (or at least it didn't when I lasted tried), an Ubuntu user has provided a ppa from which a build of QEMU that supports virgl3d can be downloaded. See comment #13 of this Ubuntu bug report. I'd guess that similar packages are available for Debain, somewhere.
        I'll note that one of the bugs that I referenced above was updated earlier today to state the following:

We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of qemu, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive.

See Message #78 found in that bug report.

Comment

Working...
        X