Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Spectre + Meltdown Updates Heading Into Linux 4.16

Phoronix: More Spectre + Meltdown Updates Heading Into Linux 4.16

Thomas Gleixner who has been wrangling all of the Spectre and Meltdown related patches for the Linux kernel tree has submitted another pull request of more changes to land for the Linux 4.16 cycle that is nearing the end of its development...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will that stuff get into LTS kernels?

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      CPU feature bits ofr indicating PCONFIG / Total Memory Encryption presence.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
        Some of this stuff is already in stable kernels, at least the blacklist for skylake's 0xc2 microcode has been updated for a while now in 4.15, which is what I'm using now. I have an interest in this because the cpu in my laptop is a skylake.

The other stuff I have a vague idea that it was already included in the stable kernels.

Comment

Originally posted by R00KIE View Post
          Some of this stuff is already in stable kernels, at least the blacklist for skylake's 0xc2 microcode has been updated for a while now in 4.15
          Stable != LTS
          4.15 is not an LTS kernel. https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Comment

this kernel is too much important to be dropped in the April distros.

Comment

Not at the moment. I am sure it will be at some point. I'm on 4.14.27 (with three local patches) myself.

Comment

AFAIK there's no LTS patches yet at Kernel.org but Ubuntu has patched for Meltdown and Spectre2 (Retpolines +- Intel Microcode) for an assortment of Ubuntu LTS kernels:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam...treAndMeltdown

I'd be shocked if this isn't also the case for RedHat/Fedora/Centos/Scientific, Debian, Oracle, and OpenSuSE/SLED/SLES as well.

Where you may run into problems will be with smaller distros running custom kernels with OpenVZ, ZFS etc. Those sub-systems won't have been patched by the larger maintainers and so those little distros will have to do the work themselves, which may take a while, if they do it at all.
                Last edited by linuxgeex; 19 March 2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

They are queued for 4.14 LTS https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...ree/queue-4.14

Comment

Working...
                  X