Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 19-Way CPU Comparison On Ubuntu With Linux 4.15

Phoronix: 19-Way CPU Comparison On Ubuntu With Linux 4.15

Following the release of the Linux 4.15 kernel with KPTI and Retpoline introduction, many Phoronix readers were interested in seeing a fresh Linux CPU performance comparison. For those reasons plus in preparing for the Raven Ridge testing, here are benchmarks of 19 different systems when using Ubuntu x86_64 with the Linux 4.15 stable kernel.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Though in Botan's AES-256 benchmarkj, AMD's Zen CPUs did super well.

Comment

Thanks for the extensive tests Michael.

Why is the Ryzen 3 beating the EPYC 7601 in Static Web Page Serving?

Edit: I must be blind, single-threaded tests...
      Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12 February 2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

If there were CPU prices in the graphs, the graphs would be much more valuable I guess.

Comment

What's wrong with MAFFT dual xeon gold result? Up there at the top with A10?

Comment

@AMD: Where is the dual EPYC 7601 mobo for Michael?

Comment

Nice you should add multi-threded apache and nginx benchmark testing i.e. with wrk for HTTP/1.1 HTTP/HTTPS tests and with HTTPS soon to be default if Google has it's way, also with nghttp2's h2load test for HTTP/2 HTTPS https://nghttp2.org/documentation/h2load-howto.html. Both wrk and h2load are multi-thread supported.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
                Thanks for the extensive tests Michael.

Why is the Ryzen 3 beating the EPYC 7601 in Static Web Page Serving?

Edit: I must be blind, single-threaded tests...
                Despite Ryzen 3 having lower core / turbo frequencies than the 1800x and Threadripper it performs better... Is there an issue with processor affinity for Ryzen in the Apache test?

The Ryzen performance seems to be scaling inversely to core count rather than seeing it scaling directly with core frequency and available memory bandwidth.

Comment

An idle CPU has an IPC of exactly zero.

There is a maximum IPC you can extract from a given system, but it's workload-dependent. It's not a magic acronym you throw around when a computer doesn't perform the way you expect it to. Go read a fucking book in computer architecture before spewing bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                  X