recommended MB for phenom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbecker View Post
    So, should I go for Asus M3N-HT with it's nvidia chipset, or wait for '2nd generation AM2+ motherboards are coming very soon (790FX/SB750)'?

I have no interest in SLI - this is just for high performance computing.
    Well I'm still waiting to make final judgement on the board. I usually don't put boards into my working systems until I torture the heck out of them for a week or two. First couple of weeks is all about finding the quirks in a particular product. I have no interest in SLI either but the reason I got it was for high performance computing as well with Cuda. The 3 x16 PCIe slots allow me load it up with GPU's for that purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well I'm still waiting to make final judgement on the board. I usually don't put boards into my working systems until I torture the heck out of them for a week or two. First couple of weeks is all about finding the quirks in a particular product. I have no interest in SLI either but the reason I got it was for high performance computing as well with Cuda. The 3 x16 PCIe slots allow me load it up with GPU's for that purpose.
      I have the Phenom 9850 and a Gigabyte MA790FX-DS5 board (and I intend to use CUDA with it for N-body research), but I couldn't get the machine to run all 4 cores for more than 20 minutes without crashing (at stock 2.5 GHz speeds!). After the return, the second one crashed after 1.5 minutes of 4-core load. I'd recommend against the Gigabyte.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well then usually you would buy a Q6700, Q9450 or similar. Do you know of any benchmark where Phenom is significant faster than Core2?
        Sorry, I've lost the URL where you get the Q9450 (260€+, can't really say when it's not avaible anywhere) for a price that is only a bit close to the price of the 9850BE (185€). And I've lost the link where you could see that a Q9300 (210€) / Q6700 (200€) has noticeable advantages over a Phenom (let it be 2.5GHz or 3GHz+). Can you remind me of where I could read this?

Most people that I talk to really recommend the ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe (130€) over the Gigabyte ones until 790FX/SB750 boards arrive. Gigabyte has the better Intel S775 boards though.

Last edited by d2kx; 22 April 2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

You lost it because it was never here

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
            You lost it because it was never here
            Alright, thanks for clearing this up. Must have been in a nightmare then

Comment

Maybe I should reconsider Intel? I see newegg has q9450. What MB would you choose to go with this? I'm assuming DDR2, since AFAIK DDR3 is still a lot more expensive.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by nbecker View Post
                  I believe my use will be limited by memory bandwidth. I have the idea that amd has the edge here - but I don't really know.
                  yes they have, since the memory controller is integrated in the CPU.

but what kind of HPC?

Comment

Do you only use DDR2-800 or why it is only at 3200 MHz. For that cpu I would use DDR2-1066 and a nice P35/P45 board from Gigabyte.

Comment

Working...
                    X