Coreboot Now Has Support For Intel Broadwell Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Styromaniac View Post
    Maybe you should take a few seconds to look up Windows RT instead of writing three paragraphs implying such a thing doesn't exist.
    Windows RT is virtually dead. Why do you think that is? Because Microsoft couldn't backport support for all of its x86 apps. So it had to start from SCRATCH with apps for Windows RT, with MUCH fewer apps than Android. That's what I meant by Microsoft being at a huge disadvantage on ARM.

On x86 that sitution (almost, but not really) situation reverses itself. With Google helping Intel promote its Atom processors in Android and Chrome OS, it's effectively helping Microsoft have a chance with Atom for its tablets. Otherwise nobody would consider it because Atom sucks compared to cutting edge ARM, despite Atom being 2-process nodes (22nm AND FinFET) ahead of ARM chips.
    Last edited by Krysto; 24 October 2014, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      I don't know man. I can't understant how fan-less, even sink-less chip can have the performace of an desktop intel chip. Moreover as you see Google tries to have completely open-source laptop, including the BIOS. What about the GPU blobs of ARM chips. Let alone nvidia blobs...And m$ is dead as an OS vendor. They will offer 10 as free update to 7,8, and the next step will probably be completely free for anyone. Apps are going into the cloud anyway.
      They don't really. ARM just gives you a major PITA when you want to do other things like run linux, and even they ARMs are more like road pizza v. any core x86, probably even kaveri.

Just picked up the c720 i3/4GB myself. Speedy little demon and c. 8.5h batt runtime. Now IF it only came in an even smaller size(6-8") w/an i5 and slotted RAM. Upgraded the ssd to 128GB as soon as I got it. Using chrome os + Ubuntu 14.04 crouton ATM, may switch to croagh + ARCH to try for a while then probably think about rolling my own chromium or going straight linux.

Thing wakes/sleeps fast too, remonds me of the old ibooks/powerbooks, but it also boots up fast.

I really got it for the size and batt runtime, as I had been looking at old librettos but decided WTH buy something smallish with modern processors, comfortable ram, and potential storage upgrades.

I've just had it with tablets since their such crap at entering anything modestly complex, and I rarely use them even to browse PDF documents and the like. Mostly they make good paperweights and dust collectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Krysto View Post
        Windows RT is virtually dead. Why do you think that is? Because Microsoft couldn't backport support for all of its x86 apps. So it had to start from SCRATCH with apps for Windows RT, with MUCH fewer apps than Android. That's what I meant by Microsoft being at a huge disadvantage on ARM.

On x86 that sitution (almost, but not really) situation reverses itself. With Google helping Intel promote its Atom processors in Android and Chrome OS, it's effectively helping Microsoft have a chance with Atom for its tablets. Otherwise nobody would consider it because Atom sucks compared to cutting edge ARM, despite Atom being 2-process nodes (22nm AND FinFET) ahead of ARM chips.
        I didn't know all of that. I'll have to agree then. TBH, I wanted ARM or POWER8 to overtake x86. Intel won't let it happen though. We could have been looking at the first sign of shifting away from the tight grip of x86 today. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4122/i...blems-no-x86/2

Comment

Working...
        X