Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel, AMD HDMI Audio Improvements In Linux 3.13

Phoronix: Intel, AMD HDMI Audio Improvements In Linux 3.13

Takashi Iwai sent in the sound driver audio pull for the Linux 3.13 kernel on Sunday. This update features HDMI audio improvements for Intel and AMD hardware, among other Linux sound improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

...and still no fixes for the ca0132 chipset featured in Recon3D/Sound Blaster Z PCIE cards and several new motherboards which have all the pins mapped incorrectly.

Comment

It could be worth to mention that this allows (on AMD hardware):
      1. Reading ELD (audio receiver info)
      2. Playing 7.1 on capable hardware
      3. Playing DTS HD-MA and TrueHD

I though it's pretty exciting for some people and heard them complaining for the long time.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
        ...and still no fixes for the ca0132 chipset featured in Recon3D/Sound Blaster Z PCIE cards and several new motherboards which have all the pins mapped incorrectly.
        I'm pretty sure sound blaster is made by Creative, not AMD or Intel. Also, aren't the sound blaster cards reverse engineered? If you know the pins are mapped incorrectly, you might want to file a bug report. Though god only knows if its a bug with the driver or pulse audio.

Comment

Originally posted by Zajec View Post
          It could be worth to mention that this allows (on AMD hardware):
          1. Reading ELD (audio receiver info)
          2. Playing 7.1 on capable hardware
          3. Playing DTS HD-MA and TrueHD

I though it's pretty exciting for some people and heard them complaining for the long time.
          I'm one of those excited by it.

Comment

aren't the sound blaster cards reverse engineered?
            The new ones aren't, because Creative writes drivers. (Partial ones. Occasionally.)

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
              I'm pretty sure sound blaster is made by Creative, not AMD or Intel. Also, aren't the sound blaster cards reverse engineered? If you know the pins are mapped incorrectly, you might want to file a bug report. Though god only knows if its a bug with the driver or pulse audio.
              CA0132 is the new chipset starting from 2011 with the Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIE cards through Sound Blaster Zs, various new high end gaming motherboards/laptops, and the Chromebook Pixel. It is simply an Intel HDA driver.

I've filed plenty of bug reports with others everywhere. What do you think these are?

[WORKAROUND] Run the following command: echo "options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf [EDIT] Workaround doesn't work anymore for me at least. I assume it only has a small possibility of working due to a firmware bug. [ORIGINAL REPORT] No sound, no jacks; It is detected by Linux however. ProblemType: Bug DistroRelease: Ubuntu 13.04 Package: alsa-base 1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4 ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-16.26-generic 3.8.5 Uname: Linux 3.8.0-16-...

It's a bug with the ALSA driver and perhaps the firmware. Everyone knows it, but that doesn't mean someone is going to do something about it.

Comment

Working...
              X