ACPI, Power Management Get Big Linux 3.13 Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    I feel your pain Bridgman -_- Michael i like the new font and texting styling, it looks a lot nicer. But the one minute edit delay is a big No-No
    Still playing around with some spam prevention issues...
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Still playing around with some spam prevention issues...
      Boooooo.

Well like I said, whatever you did to the forum's theme is great. The text is smaller but its a lot crisper and actually easier to read, it just LOOKS nicer despite it being slightly smaller. So kudos on that But the one minute limit for editting is a bit.... Not so much on the kudos >_> Here's hoping its not a permanent thing.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Well like I said, whatever you did to the forum's theme is great. The text is smaller but its a lot crisper and actually easier to read, it just LOOKS nicer despite it being slightly smaller. So kudos on that But the one minute limit for editting is a bit.... Not so much on the kudos >_> Here's hoping its not a permanent thing.
        I didn't change any forum themes lately.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          I didn't change any forum themes lately.
          o.O You didn't? Maybe its a Fedora change then... I'm not sure. I refreshed the page this morning and I literally watched all the text shrink just slightly and get a whole lot sharper and crisper. At first I thought maybe my zoom levels were off 'cause i'm always bumping the Firefox (v25) shortcuts for those, so the first thing I did was try resetting my zoom levels but it stayed the same.

Comment

this annoys the fuck out of me

without fail, and I'm talking about an all intel system here (gpu cpu wifi etc), everything runs hotter and battery life is, AT LEAST 20% less in linux compared to win

no matter the kernel no matter the distro. (hmm actually in debian it runs even hotter than fed/bntus, so much so I don't think its safe )

so wtf is this? is intel acpi and power management code in linux open source and the one in windows proprietary

Comment

o.O You didn't? Maybe its a Fedora change then... I'm not sure. I refreshed the page this morning and I literally watched all the text shrink just slightly and get a whole lot sharper and crisper. At first I thought maybe my zoom levels were off 'cause i'm always bumping the Firefox (v25) shortcuts for those, so the first thing I did was try resetting my zoom levels but it stayed the same.
              Maybe they were set incorrectly and that day you accidentally set them to normal? Because nothing changed on my end. The text has always been nice and crisp.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                Maybe they were set incorrectly and that day you accidentally set them to normal? Because nothing changed on my end. The text has always been nice and crisp.
                I dont know, maybe Emerald Lol... The last few days have been so weird it wouldn't surprise me *facepalm*

Comment

well, i know something

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                  When P-States are enabled, the CPU-frequency does correlate to power use directly (i.e. you should not pay attention to CPU frequency to determine power usage). To tell whether P-States are working correctly use powertop and check that the cores are in C7 state most of the time.
                  well, i know something, battery life drops a lot, i have with pstate 3/4 hours and with acpi 5...

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                    When P-States are enabled, the CPU-frequency does correlate to power use directly (i.e. you should not pay attention to CPU frequency to determine power usage). To tell whether P-States are working correctly use powertop and check that the cores are in C7 state most of the time.
                    Do you know of a way to check if the CPU ever enters the new S0ix state?

Does anyone know whether the CPU can even enter the new active idle states under Linux? If so, do components also get put into such a low power active idle state (powered down or clock gated) which are required for systems to support the Connected Standby feature of Windows 8?

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    this annoys the fuck out of me

without fail, and I'm talking about an all intel system here (gpu cpu wifi etc), everything runs hotter and battery life is, AT LEAST 20% less in linux compared to win

no matter the kernel no matter the distro. (hmm actually in debian it runs even hotter than fed/bntus, so much so I don't think its safe )

so wtf is this? is intel acpi and power management code in linux open source and the one in windows proprietary
                    It really is annoying how Windows can consistently get more battery life without noticeably affecting performance. With the new active idle states of Intel SoCs, Windows 8 and selective powering of platform components, it seems the battery life gap between Linux and Windows is increasing.

It would be nice if someone compares performance and power (idle and standby power too) on a ULV Haswell or Bay Trail system that conforms to the Windows 8 Connected Standby requirements.

Comment

"It would be nice if someone compares performance and power (idle and standby power too) on a ULV Haswell or Bay Trail system"

indeed, but I guess phoronix is too busy running xonotic the billionth time to care about stuff with real implications in the real world (battery life, computing performance, html5 tests, etc)

Comment

Working...
                      X