Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LM_Sensors 3.3.3 Improves Linux Hardware Sensors

Phoronix: LM_Sensors 3.3.3 Improves Linux Hardware Sensors

This week marked the release of a new LM_Sensors user-space update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Additionally, the sensors-detect command no longer probes I2C adapters on graphics cards.

Isn't that the module to measure radeon cards with the open driver? How is that an improvement?!?

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
      Additionally, the sensors-detect command no longer probes I2C adapters on graphics cards.

Isn't that the module to measure radeon cards with the open driver? How is that an improvement?!?
      The radeon driver already probes for and loads the i2c drivers for thermal chips when they are present.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
        The radeon driver already probes for and loads the i2c drivers for thermal chips when they are present.
        No need to try to load/detect a module twice...
        Thanks! I'll keep embarrassing myself with gaps in knowledge

Comment

No need to try to load/detect a module twice...
          Thanks! I'll keep embarrassing myself with gaps in knowledge
          Especially embarrassing because the next sentence in the news was:

The sensor detection program for writing out the module configuration file isn't tapping the graphics cards any longer since the main open-source drivers (Radeon, Intel, Nouveau) are already handling the loading of their GPU thermal drivers themselves.

Comment

Hm. It never lists the PWM for my HD 4890, at least that I can see. Though it also didn't do it when asked to probe hardware, so...

Comment

I feel kinda embarrassed not knowing there were computers with humidity sensors in them, unless that's a new thing that hasn't been implemented often. While i understand the reasoning for ditching GPU i2c probing, I feel like it could've still been an option, but I'm not sure how much effort it takes to maintain that part of the code so maybe it really isn't worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                I feel kinda embarrassed not knowing there were computers with humidity sensors in them...
                First I've heard as well - maybe people using their laptops in the shower is the new trend.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  First I've heard as well - maybe people using their laptops in the shower is the new trend.
                  I am still wondering about those free-fall sensors in laptops Maybe at a certain acceleration like 8.2m/s*s, it turns off some hardware or blows up an airbag or something...

Comment

I am still wondering about those free-fall sensors in laptops Maybe at a certain acceleration like 8.2m/s*s, it turns off some hardware or blows up an airbag or something...
                    I thought that was for doing something to the disk heads in laptop hard drives to stop them damaging the platter if dropped - or I have been suckered by marketing bollocks again?

Comment

Working...
                    X