X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Then your work laptop is special. My desktop at home gets from login to usable desktop (Win7 64-bit) in 30 seconds (with my few auto-loaded programs fully ready). Is your machine force-launching a re-index or virus scan every startup? Are network mounts timing out and confusing explorer while they wait? 8 minutes to a usable machine is not normal.
    Nope, no timeouts. Virus Scan has something to do with it. A lot of corporate crap is set to load on startup. I know Win 7 is faster than that, but Vin!cent's example as corporate folks waiting minutes to use their computers. It's not due to a POST sequence, it's due to crap like this.

I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind having a partition manager, drive imager, and maybe some form of file manager/virus scanner that could be launched from outside of an OS. Even if I had to load the virus definitions from a thumb drive, it could be very useful when attempting to rescue a system which has trashed itself (or a family member infected the machine and it falls to me to clean it up).
    All of those functions can be done from a Pen Drive or PXE boot. I'm not debating their utility; they do not belong in the same process as bringing up hardware.

The whole point to LinuxBIOS and Coreboot was "Hey, BIOS is initializing hardware, and then the kernel just does it a second time, that's a waste of time." It was not to cram an entire operating system onto a flash chip.

Your computer may post in 2 seconds, but mine takes about 15 before I hit the boot loader (almost half of which is due to the hardware-RAID card). Considering that I often have to sit in front of the computer to make sure that the correct OS is selected for boot, that's 15 seconds that I could be heading to the coffee maker to get a pot of coffee started. Yeah, it's only once or twice a day, but it's still annoying.
    You're not a typical user. The discussion was that AMD's announcement increased the possibility Coreboot was going to be on mainstream, commodity hardware. Hardware RAID cards are not mainstream, commodity hardware and are not in use by said audience. The mainstream, commodity market that has HPs, Dells, etc. already have a POST done in 2-3 seconds. Coreboot's advantages will not be seen by that market.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    On all of my hw since 2006 POST has been the bottleneck on boot. On the current system it takes 5-6s, when the rest of the boot is 3-4s.

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied
    Originally posted by locovaca View Post
    My work laptop with Win 7 takes 30 seconds from POST to the Login screen. It takes 8 minutes from password entry to a workable desktop. POST and BIOS is the least of my concerns; it takes 4 seconds to POST. That's not even 1% of my total startup time.
    Then your work laptop is special. My desktop at home gets from login to usable desktop (Win7 64-bit) in 30 seconds (with my few auto-loaded programs fully ready). Is your machine force-launching a re-index or virus scan every startup? Are network mounts timing out and confusing explorer while they wait? 8 minutes to a usable machine is not normal.

I don't need DOS in a BIOS. Nobody needs DOS in a BIOS. DOS needs to die. Restore partitions work well enough for the average consumer; optical media is the backup should a total hard drive failure occur. None of this should be the worry of the code which is simply to bring up devices to a workable state.
    I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind having a partition manager, drive imager, and maybe some form of file manager/virus scanner that could be launched from outside of an OS. Even if I had to load the virus definitions from a thumb drive, it could be very useful when attempting to rescue a system which has trashed itself (or a family member infected the machine and it falls to me to clean it up).

Some BIOS supports full screen logos in lieu of a nitty-gritty POST message. All the main manufacturers do this. And even then, they are very quick. My Acer C2D posts in 2 seconds. The difference between 2 seconds and 1 second is barely noticeable. You're splitting hairs at this point.
    Your computer may post in 2 seconds, but mine takes about 15 before I hit the boot loader (almost half of which is due to the hardware-RAID card). Considering that I often have to sit in front of the computer to make sure that the correct OS is selected for boot, that's 15 seconds that I could be heading to the coffee maker to get a pot of coffee started. Yeah, it's only once or twice a day, but it's still annoying.

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Ask an office worker how long it takes to boot up his/her workstation.
    My work laptop with Win 7 takes 30 seconds from POST to the Login screen. It takes 8 minutes from password entry to a workable desktop. POST and BIOS is the least of my concerns; it takes 4 seconds to POST. That's not even 1% of my total startup time.

It's variable. Mine has Firefox in it, next to the BIOS. Also didn't DOS fit on a floppy?

True. But why waste time with going though a shitload of checks when nobody cares about DOS? And if they care they can put DOS in there; not needing a stupid floppy. Bloat is bad. Clean implementations are generaly good.
    I don't need DOS in a BIOS. Nobody needs DOS in a BIOS. DOS needs to die. Restore partitions work well enough for the average consumer; optical media is the backup should a total hard drive failure occur. None of this should be the worry of the code which is simply to bring up devices to a workable state.

Why do people care about Apple? Because it hides the technology. Now how pretty is that post srceen of yours? Why not eliminate the need for a post screen and boot straight into a boatloader that has a Linux kernel with KMS in the BIOS?
    Some BIOS supports full screen logos in lieu of a nitty-gritty POST message. All the main manufacturers do this. And even then, they are very quick. My Acer C2D posts in 2 seconds. The difference between 2 seconds and 1 second is barely noticeable. You're splitting hairs at this point.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    Not an issue for most users.
    Ask an office worker how long it takes to boot up his/her workstation.

You know how big BIOS is, right? How are you fitting anything close to a rescue system in a 1 or 2 megabyte image?
    It's variable. Mine has Firefox in it, next to the BIOS. Also didn't DOS fit on a floppy?

Yes, because this has proven successful when attempted by other manufactures. Dell had laptops that played music from your hard drive from BIOS. Several motherboards had the embedded Linux with a web browser in BIOS-ish. Nobody cared.
    True. But why waste time with going though a shitload of checks when nobody cares about DOS? And if they care they can put DOS in there; not needing a stupid floppy. Bloat is bad. Clean implementations are generaly good.

Coreboot might be interesting for the enthusiast or code hacker. Coreboot is literally nothing to an end user. To dive into the car analogies, BIOS is the oil filter. Most of your population doesn't care what brand or type is down there as long as they can go placed.
    Why do people care about Apple? Because it hides the technology. Now how pretty is that post srceen of yours? Why not eliminate the need for a post screen and boot straight into a boatloader that has a Linux kernel with KMS in the BIOS?

Leave a comment:

• locovaca
    replied
    Originally posted by JanC View Post
    Faster boot.
    Sure
    Use your favourite bootloader as a payload, so the Windows installer can't overwriting it anymore.
    Not an issue for most users.
    Load emulation for IBM PC BIOS, OpenFirmware, EFI, etc. when needed.
    And for an end user, running BIOS or an emulator running BIOS doesn't really matter.
    Protection against (some) rootkits built into the "BIOS" payload.
    Links please.
    System check utilities (e.g. memtest86) integrated into the "BIOS". (I can also imagine some special tools to pop up for overclockers & such to test/optimise their system.)
    Not very useful for an end user. Memtest86, sure, but what other system check utilities that'll fit into a rom chip exist?
    Rescue system in the "BIOS".
    You know how big BIOS is, right? How are you fitting anything close to a rescue system in a 1 or 2 megabyte image?

Integrate simple games into the "BIOS". (Imagine CoreBoot Solitaire booting in 1 second, that would be a killer app! )
    Yes, because this has proven successful when attempted by other manufactures. Dell had laptops that played music from your hard drive from BIOS. Several motherboards had the embedded Linux with a web browser in BIOS-ish. Nobody cared.

Coreboot might be interesting for the enthusiast or code hacker. Coreboot is literally nothing to an end user. To dive into the car analogies, BIOS is the oil filter. Most of your population doesn't care what brand or type is down there as long as they can go placed.

Leave a comment:

• PreferLinux
    replied
    Originally posted by chithanh View Post
    Forcing coreboot on OEMs is not AMD's style. The coreboot support for a reference platform already contains most of the work needed to port coreboot to a particular motherboard. From there, the coreboot community can quickly add support for new motherboards if they have motivation and access to the hardware. It happened e.g. with the ASRock E350M1.
    I guess not, but AMD will have done the majority of the work, so the OEMs won't have to even do as much as with an existing BIOS. And the BIOS would be less work than an UEFI. And I doubt they'll want to go very long with the old BIOS when Intel has UEFI.

Leave a comment:

• chithanh
    replied
    Forcing coreboot on OEMs is not AMD's style. The coreboot support for a reference platform already contains most of the work needed to port coreboot to a particular motherboard. From there, the coreboot community can quickly add support for new motherboards if they have motivation and access to the hardware. It happened e.g. with the ASRock E350M1.

Leave a comment:

• JanC
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    i've read the wiki and the coreboot page and fail to see any benefits as a "typical" user
    • Faster boot.
    • Use your favourite bootloader as a payload, so the Windows installer can't overwriting it anymore.
    • Load emulation for IBM PC BIOS, OpenFirmware, EFI, etc. when needed.
    • Protection against (some) rootkits built into the "BIOS" payload.
    • System check utilities (e.g. memtest86) integrated into the "BIOS". (I can also imagine some special tools to pop up for overclockers & such to test/optimise their system.)
    • Rescue system in the "BIOS".
    • Integrate simple games into the "BIOS". (Imagine CoreBoot Solitaire booting in 1 second, that would be a killer app! )
    • Etc.

Basically: your imagination is the limit!

Leave a comment:

• JanC
    replied
    When you have notes like this:

"This board is very pick about what ROM chips it can use and it will fry any chip that doesn't work."

then your project is no where near release for anything close to enthusiast, let alone mainstream.
    No, it only means the motherboard vendors need the tweak it for their board (and release that code). A stock Award/Phoenix/AMI BIOS needs the same type of adjustments to the specific hardware as CoreBoot does. (Actually, it should also be possible to use those BIOS'es as a payload for CoreBoot.)

And imagine AMD releasing a CoreBoot SDK together with the reference boards for their chipsets, that would make it even easier (and maybe cheaper?) for the OEMs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X