Control PWM fan speed on MSI Gaming Carbon Pro x399 under Ubuntu 20.04

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control PWM fan speed on MSI Gaming Carbon Pro x399 under Ubuntu 20.04

I want to control a fan that cools a PCIe card according to peak card chip temperature. The m/b etc is in the subject. The BIOS is the latest production version from 2018 - there is a new beta version but I don't overclock or anything like that.

I can of course set the speed in the BIOS and read the temperatures in python but I would like to do this dynamically - the fan can be quite noisy! fancontrol and pwmconfig detects no sensor modules.

I installed i8kmon and /proc/i8k is showing as installed but if I run i8kfan it just returns -1 -1.

No device appears such as in /sys/class/hwmon/*/device/pwm* etc. although there are now hwmon0/device and hwmon1/device both with directories /hwmon, /power, /link and soft links /subsystem, /driver, /iommu and /iommu_group. None of these appear to be fan control links.

Any ideas or is it impossible and all I can do is to set the fan speed and kill the whole process if the maximum permissible temperature is exceeded (done in a different thread)?
Working...
X