Canoeboot 20231026 Released As Another Fork Of Coreboot-Downstream Libreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I can't see any other reason, to make that effort to push a fork with a version and license that you 100% disagree on. She does believe that the GNU's definition of freedom is less positive, so it can't be to promote that project as better version to her main project.
    I see a trollish aspect in this new project (the name... *groan*), but I'm not sure if that's an accurate assessment of Leah's position regarding licensing and freedom.

For example, RMS stated that BSD licensing is advantageous in some cases (like for Ogg Vorbis).

Some folks in the coreboot community (including me) felt that a firmware project that supports only hardware that is older than some of the contributors to coreboot is detrimental to the goal of opening up the firmware landscape, and so we decided to compromise grudgingly (but that willingness to compromise is not unlimited, as Intel recently learned). When libreboot first started, we were discussing what we could do to help them, and we spun out the blobs in a separate repo and put in a bunch of flags in the build system to allow a "one-stop shop" no-blobs build.

Leah eventually came to agree with this point of view and now works towards that with Libreboot, creating a distribution that (somewhat sophisticated) end-users can hopefully rely on (more than they can rely on coreboot being end-user friendly at any particular commit) and which defaults to "Libre" where possible (e.g. libgfxinit vs vgabios). Since GNU Boot never quite took off (how long are they preparing things now?), there's now something she maintains that they could use it to base their work on. Or not. That's up to the GNU Boot folks.

Generally speaking, Leah seems (to me) to be the type who prefers GPL-style software freedom (even if she dissociated herself from GNU/FSF fully over other matters). As such, this might well be an attempt to get this off the ground for the people who prefer such a model, even if it limits the reach of that project. Just like coreboot accomodated the original Libreboot even though we disagreed that all open source firmware should restrict itself in that way.

But yeah, given all the bad blood over various stunts in the past, I can't help but see some trolling, but it seems to be more of a side dish and not the main course.

Comment

x86 (and ARM) seem a hopeless mess of bespoke garbage.

Meanwhile in RISC-V, boot process is standardized in specifications like the SBI, and all SBCs seem to use u-boot SPL then opensbi then u-boot or the open uefi implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
        Leah eventually came to agree with this point of view and now works towards that with Libreboot, creating a distribution that (somewhat sophisticated) end-users can hopefully rely on (more than they can rely on coreboot being end-user friendly at any particular commit) and which defaults to "Libre" where possible (e.g. libgfxinit vs vgabios).
        Yes conveniently she released her "GNU Boot" under their name in a few days before they launched their project/website. So it was not just a independent enlightenment of what is good, it was a reaction to competition. She could have done this months before they did that, but just "randomly" the timing nearly 1:1 overlaps with their release... yeah sure...

I get there the picture in my head of some manipulative parter in a relationship that get rejected for sex and then keeps trying to blame the person for not giving it up and tries to paint them to others or make them feel they are in the wrong.

There is lot's of bad blood between this 2 groups, and the best is to go into the mode of coexisting and letting each other in peace, but she has to bully them and try to control everything. So I get a lot of Cluster A or B vibes, am not a medical professional therefor I can make this layman partially polemic speech.

Since GNU Boot never quite took off (how long are they preparing things now?), there's now something she maintains that they could use it to base their work on. Or not. That's up to the GNU Boot folks.
        Only mental people after they got a clear NO from somebody, after previous legal / personal fights, and now again a letter with

Generally speaking, Leah seems (to me) to be the type who prefers GPL-style software freedom (even if she dissociated herself from GNU/FSF fully over other matters). As such, this might well be an attempt to get this off the ground for the people who prefer such a model
        For that no website would be needed, and not the attempt to steel the name, it's clearly not about that but something evil instead. Is it possible that she maybe wants both, do something good and attack them aggressively at the same time but that would suggest some mental problems again.
        But yeah, given all the bad blood over various stunts in the past, I can't help but see some trolling, but it seems to be more of a side dish and not the main course.
        People like trolling, that is a bias, the Internet loves trolls, often including me, but there is a level where somebody goes nuclear and completely crazy. Like somebody writing a trollish comment somewhere vs a stalker that is obsessed with the target, I see more towards the latter.

We should not support that because our bias towards trolling.

For me that feels like a control freak that can't just "agree to disagree" and move on, but instead have to have always the last word.

Comment

A bit like some crazy EX that finds out that you have a new girlfriend and makes you a scene about it in a restaurant or before your door, that is the vibes I get from this.

Comment

Working...
          X