Linux Patches Updated For 64-Core RISC-V Milk-V Pioneer mATX Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnattu View Post
    We are experiencing lots of SIGSEGV: invalid memory references on HiFive Unmatched when compiling with Rust.
    That sure is unfortunate. But also, a lot of programs got written with stupid hardware assumptions. Like, pointer tagging by abusing bits in pointer addresses. Just because x86_64 has something like "48 bits virtual" in /proc/cpuinfo does not mean that's true everywhre; 57-bit-virtual space on x86_64 is defined, and the old RISC 64-bit processors did their own thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post

Not too bad for 64 cores and ECC capability. Just wish it had 10 Gb Ethernet, not 2.5.
      It's obvious that these are VERY slim cores, nowhere near to what EPYC can do.
      Otherwise the chip would have helluva lot more than two-channel DDR4 interface and 24 PCIev4 lanes.

Interesting, but WAY overpriced.

Comment

These sentences:

The Milk-V Pioneer board along with a heatsink currently is set to retail for $1499 USD. Pre-orders are expected to begin shipping in December
        seem to be very important as they are repeated twice.

Comment

I mean, this is low volume hardware. So It's not that unreasonable in price. But I did ask their channels about power consumption. Apparently this CPU idles at 50W. Too high for me.

It's obvious that these are VERY slim cores
          Indeed. IIRC it is using the C920 cores. So about like you got a pile of ARM A72. I own a HoneyComb LX2K (16x A72 @2GHz) . If they are indeed comparable, I can tell you A72 is ok for a server. Just don't try running single threaded workload on item and expect to beat Xeon or Epyc.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post
            The Xuantie Cores (C9xx) only implement the now deprecated 0.7 standard of the Vector extensions.
            Look forward to SG2044, the successor to this SG2024, TBA in 2024.

Same number of cores, but Vector 1.0, 3x RAM bandwidth, 2x PCIe bandwidth.

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F1gwa4fvhiylb1. jpg

RISC-V is inevitable.
            Last edited by ayumu; 06 October 2023, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
              These sentences: [pre-orders are about to ship in December]
              seem to be very important as they are repeated twice.
              Yes, very important. Probably because fewer people buy into the preordering hype, and so shipping finally becomes important again ;-) (see youtube: "do not preorder").

Comment

Working...
              X