TikTok Owner Bytedance Goes Big On Open-Source Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I hate TikTok but I really like this news!

It is a bit sad though that the only ones who currently seem to be able to get open source firmware are the tech giants, I wish open source firmware was more readily available for consumer hardware.
    I'm surprised that companies like supermicro doesn't feel incentivized to move to coreboot/openbmc firmware. Ultimately intel/amd may never get their act together, as the hyperscallers could very well abandon x86 ISA, and amd/intel will have no reason to put any effort into opensource firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      At first glance this seems weird, but then when you actually think about it, open source is a nice platform for good support if it's handled well.
      Except that we know in China they have the obligation to install backdoors when the government asks them to. So this functionality will be baked in. Presumably disabled for outside of China, but it's not a stretch to imagine hackers finding a way to enable it regardless.

Hopefully this will get the proper scrutiny and will lead to something useful and trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post

I'm surprised that companies like supermicro doesn't feel incentivized to move to coreboot/openbmc firmware. Ultimately intel/amd may never get their act together, as the hyperscallers could very well abandon x86 ISA, and amd/intel will have no reason to put any effort into opensource firmware.
        Supermicro is getting involved: https://review.coreboot.org/q/owner:supermicro.com

Lenovo also discussed their porting efforts during the ByteDance CloudFW summit. (Full schedule is at https://juejin.cn/live/3263773)

Comment

Looks like China listened to Snowden.
          Europe not so much.

Comment

Yeah. Let's not forget that closed source firmware threats are at least as bad for China as they are for the West. A lot of software is made in the West and becoming independent is important.

Comment

COME ON GUYS!

This is just the owner of TikTok doing his own TikTok video!

You know, the ~15-30 second, now you see it (the interest), now you don't!

Next, Bill Gates records a TikTok video pretending being enthralled using Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Nobody View Post
                Looks like China listened to Snowden.
                Europe not so much.
                While Europe didn't quite listen to Snowden in particular, note that coreboot likely wouldn't exist today without the investment of the German BSI (Federal Office for Information Security) since 2005. (one source, but their contributions go way beyond that)

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                  COME ON GUYS!

This is just the owner of TikTok doing his own TikTok video!

You know, the ~15-30 second, now you see it (the interest), now you don't!

Next, Bill Gates records a TikTok video pretending being enthralled using Linux.
                  Here I am being surprised at opening a box with, surprise!, nothing in it!
                  Hi

Comment

Originally posted by pgeorgi View Post
                    While Europe didn't quite listen to Snowden in particular, note that coreboot likely wouldn't exist today without the investment of the German BSI (Federal Office for Information Security) since 2005. (one source, but their contributions go way beyond that)
                    The BSI is well known there are others more secret ones for example:

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I have a feeling that this announcement is an attempt to gain favor with the field experts and developers in the Western IT sector. The same people who generally love free and open source software. Also, the same people (or at least a portion thereof) who are currently informing and warning the government about the threats of espionage and PSYOPs through the CCP controlled app TikTok.

China's government could use TikTok to control data on millions of American users, FBI Director Christopher Wray told a Senate hearing. #tiktok #china #techn...

At this very moment there is an ongoing campaign to fight back against Chinese espionage and PSYOPs from TikTok by implementing bans and introduce new laws to protect against this novel threat. ByteDance are sweating profusely, and I think that they're desperate to do anything to appease the IT sector in the West along with policymakers.

ByteDance is practically an extension of the CCP, which is one of the most totalitarian governments in the world. It's ironic seeing them propagate for open source firmware. But as unwind-protect ​mentioned, OSF benefits them, and what they are advocating for seems to be open source firmware for cloud computing, not for devices that help track the Chinese population.
                      Last edited by board; 10 March 2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X