Latest System76 Intel-Powered Laptops Added To Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
    I see what they are doing right now, they are skipping current Ubuntu release to focus their efforts into making a desktop environment. We're already past half time, and their progress? They have made setting app and a text editor, I mean, it's like someone who's learning how to program with a gui toolkit. Which is fine by me btw, but, to claim they've made a Desktop Environment is, kinda insulting people who've made one.
    The problem as such is they need to write the GUI toolkit first. The sad truth is that the state of the pure Rust GUI ecosystem is trash. The documentation for all of them is pretty terrible and they're lacking various features which they have to fix first before they can get a real DE up and running so "learning how to program with a gui toolkit" type apps are kinda needed to use as platforms to build up off of. That said have they claimed anywhere that they've actually made it, or just expressed the intent to do so? because as far as I've seen it's just the latter with no dates attached as to when they might finish.

As for their hardware? Their products pretty much non existent in my country. Let's overlook the fact that it's overpriced, but for something that's advertised as linux laptop flagship, they could've put some effort to make it look good. Like, those are most generic looking laptop I've even seen. Although, I doubt that they could do anything about it
    The laptops are well known to just be Clevo rebrands like most of the boutique laptop companies. So if the look generic, it's because they literally are. That said you're paying a premium for someone to develop a coreboot implementation for it among other things, as well as supporting someone trying to make the Linux Desktop into an actual product. So how much it's worth it or not depends upon how valuable those things are to you. However they're a much better choice than pretty much any of the other laptops sold as being Linux products such as the HP Dev One or Dell XPS 13, or heaven forbid the various ancient thinkpad resellers.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
      To be honest I don't find 3:2 particularly comfortable. 16:10 is my "sweet spot" - 16:9 is too vertically challenged and 3:2 a touch too tall.

...but I do like 16:10 triplewide. For productivity, that's best for me.
      totally agree - 16:9 is just for watching films at least that is the origin. So it was never really "designed" for workplaces. Albeit its not far away from the optimum. If you consider multimonitor or curved widescreen its goes even more into the opposite direction of aspect ratios. But there you have lager screens. So if sheer screen area is the limitation than I would always prefer 16:10 over 16:9.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 06 March 2023, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        The problem as such is they need to write the GUI toolkit first. The sad truth is that the state of the pure Rust GUI ecosystem is trash. The documentation for all of them is pretty terrible and they're lacking various features which they have to fix first before they can get a real DE up and running so "learning how to program with a gui toolkit" type apps are kinda needed to use as platforms to build up off of.
        gui is pretty much the last thing they need to be concerned with, they build from the surface, you can't put anything on top of those works. and platform you speak of, it's just gnome. like do they actually want to make a de? they should start by making the actual platform. but they cant, and they are embarrassed to admit it. That's why their claim to make a Desktop Environment is embarrassing, or people on internet would call it "cringe"

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        The laptops are well known to just be Clevo rebrands like most of the boutique laptop companies. So if the look generic, it's because they literally are. That said you're paying a premium for someone to develop a coreboot implementation for it among other things, as well as supporting someone trying to make the Linux Desktop into an actual product. So how much it's worth it or not depends upon how valuable those things are to you. However they're a much better choice than pretty much any of the other laptops sold as being Linux products such as the HP Dev One or Dell XPS 13, or heaven forbid the various ancient thinkpad resellers.
        if i want to get things done, I'll buy a laptop from a credible brand that i dont need to fight if i want to claim a warranty. as for tinkering, i would make it separated from my work, i'd buy an old thinkpad. it's much more supported by community than s67 will ever be.

also, most laptop have roughly same level of linux support these days. like they dont make much improvement to their laptop over its base. they picked already supported laptop so they dont need to do anything (and no new feature or us). you can pretty much buy same laptop with far less money with exact same linux support if you know where to look. i would overlook this if they make contributions to Linux desktop hardware support, because we need it, so at least their price is at least justified. but nope, they just have nih syndrome

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Fine, didn't know that, first time I saw it was framework.
          First time I saw Linux was with Linux XP back in the day. Following your initial argument, they essentially created Linux.

Comment

gui is pretty much the last thing they need to be concerned with, they build from the surface, you can't put anything on top of those works. and platform you speak of, it's just gnome. like do they actually want to make a de? they should start by making the actual platform. but they cant, and they are embarrassed to admit it. That's why their claim to make a Desktop Environment is embarrassing, or people on internet would call it "cringe"
            You should be the symbol for the type of person who knows nothing but keeps talking pretty loudly!

System76 has spent that last year literally working on the infrastructure and the basics, they just recently started working on the settings and text editor that you're so riled up about! So GUI is the last thing they are concerned about! Take a look at Smithay and cosmic-comp, also libcosmic, cosmic-panel, and cosmic-applets. They have created the Wayland compositor, and an applet infrastructure for their desktop, and many other contributions to the larger ecosystem to get it ready to be used in their DE.

I suggest you just curb your hatred for Rust (evident by all your comments under anything Rust-related on this website) for one second, and be happy that a company is able to sell Linux products and invest in the ecosystem!

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post

Aspect Ratio complaints
              It's a laptop designed for getting work done and being able to actually browse the web, instead of having 2M+ pixels and constantly scrolling because there's no vertical space.

16:9 is a POS for anything but media consumption. Guess what the mega corps pushed out over the objections of *nearly everyone who MAKES stuff on said screens*

16:10 is better, much better, but still not as good as 4:3 usually was, because usually the only thing on one screen that uses horizontal space is ads. Or blog sidebars, I guess, but scrolling right needs done far less frequently and disrupts attention less than constantly having to scroll up and down.

Frankly, I blame the rise of 16:9 as part of why so many online have the attention span of a goldfish now.

4:3 and 3:2 have the advantages of avoiding the need to scroll so much, and if someone needs more width... hook up another monitor. Nice thing about closer-to-square monitors is that doing so doesn't take up obscene amounts of space!

And if you want to game, well, 16:10 isn't going anywhere, neither is 21:9, and gaming is not the goal of these things anyway.
              Last edited by mulenmar; 07 March 2023, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hojjat View Post

You should be the symbol for the type of person who knows nothing but keeps talking pretty loudly!

System76 has spent that last year literally working on the infrastructure and the basics, they just recently started working on the settings and text editor that you're so riled up about! So GUI is the last thing they are concerned about! Take a look at Smithay and cosmic-comp, also libcosmic, cosmic-panel, and cosmic-applets. They have created the Wayland compositor, and an applet infrastructure for their desktop, and many other contributions to the larger ecosystem to get it ready to be used in their DE.

I suggest you just curb your hatred for Rust (evident by all your comments under anything Rust-related on this website) for one second, and be happy that a company is able to sell Linux products and invest in the ecosystem!
                Yeah you are repeating me. The fax remains, they need to actually make those things work. I mean, showcasing your app on top of other people work, and calling it your DE is shameless.

I don't hate rust, I just care about s67 with hope to actually contributing something good. Like come on, don't let big players doing all the work.

Comment

Working...
                X