MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi DDR5 Support Upstreamed To Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

Coreboot is such a low effort project (I'm not belittling its developers, I'm just stating the obvious - it doesn't have nearly enough manpower), expecting it to work better than the official proprietary EFI ROM sounds like a case of hopium.

Maybe it has some obscure bugs fixed for obscure no longer supported motherboards but I don't expect it to fare better than for modern still supported motherboards.
    Never used a single modern board from any manufacturer that just works, Asus, Asrock, MSI does not matter, Intel or AMD? Does not matter. So the bar to match is quite low. I have a very nice board that was supposed to be a Chromebox, it runs stock Coreboot and its just a very nice trouble free experience.

Comment

AFAIK the main point of CoreBoot is avoiding our hardware being hostage to this sort of shenanigans:
      Over the last decade, Intel has been including a tiny little microcontroller inside their CPUs. This microcontroller is connected to everything, and can shuttle data between your hard drive and you…

Most likely soon to be joined in the halls of cybersecurity infamy by Microsoft's Pluton security chip, which follows a similarl(y idiotic) concept and is sure to end in a similarl(y horrid) headline:
      Qualcomm’s PC efforts have gone from being noncompetitive to too dangerous to deploy.

It's unfortunately being pushed by Microsoft as a Windows 11 security feature and AMD's Ryzen 6xxx CPU series is adopting it, so the result of someone eventually finding a backdoor into it is probably gonna be far worse that Intel ME, which was really terrible already.

Comment

Working...
      X