Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Libreboot 20221214 Brings More Arm Chromebooks & ThinkPads

Phoronix: Libreboot 20221214 Brings More Arm Chromebooks & ThinkPads

After a half-year of development, Libreboot 20221214 is now available for this downstream of Coreboot that is focused on software freedom and providing fully open-source firmware support. Libreboot also enhances the experience with an automated build system and other changes in the name of software freedom and being user-friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That news got me very much excited, because I have a X220 and the idea of having a really free computer (with also replacing the intel wlan chip) sounds nice.

That said, you would have to solder a different rom or something if I understand it correctly, and even if somehow I got that and even the fullhd mod with a different panel, I would not use that pc that much except for testing or playing around a bit testing a new distribution or something.

The formfactor is just a bit to big, a bit to clunky, if you only use it as additional pc, that's if I use a laptop on top of my desktop pc(s) it's 9 out of time a netbook, with all it's shortcomings and horrible speed .

Then you would think the chromebooks make sense but with their horrible keyboards and very small and slow flash drives they suck, too .

But still nice to see such advancements.

Comment

I'm Happy to be proven wrong but for those excited here this isn't Libreboot you used to know. This is basically Coreboot which means more blobs allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
        I'm Happy to be proven wrong but for those excited here this isn't Libreboot you used to know. This is basically Coreboot which means more blobs allowed.
        Yes, I'll have to find out what the additional blobs are. But that T440p and the W541 are pretty exciting - those give you i7 processors and up to 16GB ram on the 440 and 32GB on the 541 - that's a big leap forward. Previously the highest amount of available ram on a librebooted Thinkpad was 8GB, and the systems were all at least 11 years old I think. Some of those W541's are going to be less than half that age.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Yes, I'll have to find out what the additional blobs are. But that T440p and the W541 are pretty exciting - those give you i7 processors and up to 16GB ram on the 440 and 32GB on the 541 - that's a big leap forward. Previously the highest amount of available ram on a librebooted Thinkpad was 8GB, and the systems were all at least 11 years old I think. Some of those W541's are going to be less than half that age.
          Maybe I just don't see the big deal. I could get a T440P before using Osboot from Mini Free or from Vikings using Coreboot. This isn't so much new as it is a name change. Don't get me wrong, I continue to support Libreboot and wish Leah the best but I newer hardware supported was to eb expected as soon as she ditched the FSF model of fewer blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by PublicNuisance View Post
            Ahh thanks well then I don't have to get mad that I can't solder that shit or are not wiling to spend all that money or that I don't like the keyboards and formfactors of this devices Ohh my excitement gone from very much to very very little very fast

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                Lol, ohh the fsf definition of free software is not good enough we must have a more radical view on it, the exceptions of some unchangeable software is not enough.

But we don't care about it anyway and it means more freedom if we just remove a few blobs and provide firmware that depends a lot on blobs and name that proprietary mess "libre"

Decide which one is it you want to be more pragmatic or more radical you can't be both at the same time, it's like written by a schizophrenic person, with 2 opposite personalities in their head.

And then she quotes a paragraph which includes talk about FPGA, says that paragagh is unacceptable but then not specifically addresses the FPGA part, because that is not software or does she see such "gate pattern" consider for her as software, if so then she must only accept hardware with openhardware design, too. it's no longer about software freedom but freedom of platine layouts.

And to justify to be more pragmatic by saying fsf is not radical enough... is creative cognitive dissonance

Give people a proprietary firmware but because it's slightly less proprietary it's good and gives more freedom. Rofl and then comes another contradicting thing, first it's about ok we want every single bit of anything that can be considered software be free, but then arguments that updatable blobs would be great because "security" and security is freedom... sure every police state is therefor a greet free place, because they can provide security.

Why not redefine the GPL or FSF and say fsf must mean proprietary software that gets good secure updates. I define all words new even the attack on this claimed terms and redefining is typcical radical left wing approach, instead of using a own term or more accurate term they want to redefine words... as weapon.

fsf should put out a warning for this deceptive website... it uses in combination with software by fsf / gnu defined words and delivers something completely different. It's like the reactos team would called their os Windows 5000 or so...

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

Lol, ohh the fsf definition of free software is not good enough we must have a more radical view on it, the exceptions of some unchangeable software is not enough.

But we don't care about it anyway and it means more freedom if we just remove a few blobs and provide firmware that depends a lot on blobs and name that proprietary mess "libre"

Decide which one is it you want to be more pragmatic or more radical you can't be both at the same time, it's like written by a schizophrenic person, with 2 opposite personalities in their head.

And then she quotes a paragraph which includes talk about FPGA, says that paragagh is unacceptable but then not specifically addresses the FPGA part, because that is not software or does she see such "gate pattern" consider for her as software, if so then she must only accept hardware with openhardware design, too. it's no longer about software freedom but freedom of platine layouts.

And to justify to be more pragmatic by saying fsf is not radical enough... is creative cognitive dissonance

Give people a proprietary firmware but because it's slightly less proprietary it's good and gives more freedom. Rofl and then comes another contradicting thing, first it's about ok we want every single bit of anything that can be considered software be free, but then arguments that updatable blobs would be great because "security" and security is freedom... sure every police state is therefor a greet free place, because they can provide security.

Why not redefine the GPL or FSF and say fsf must mean proprietary software that gets good secure updates. I define all words new even the attack on this claimed terms and redefining is typcical radical left wing approach, instead of using a own term or more accurate term they want to redefine words... as weapon.

fsf should put out a warning for this deceptive website... it uses in combination with software by fsf / gnu defined words and delivers something completely different. It's like the reactos team would called their os Windows 5000 or so...
                  Are we even reading the same document?

Comment

Working...
                  X