Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Joins The Open-Source Firmware Foundation

Phoronix: Coreboot Joins The Open-Source Firmware Foundation

Earlier this year the Open-Source Firmware Foundation was created to help advance open firmware development. Today the Coreboot project has officially joined the Open-Source Firmware Foundation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's cool and all but I'm not sure I want for-profit entities developing my firmware. What's to stop Google from spying on me with this?

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post

Google can't spy you if it is open source, because it would be obvious to everyone that some spying code has been inserted as a part of the open firmware.
      ahh yes, android. the most open-source software.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

You're confusing AOSP with Android that are on the phones. Most of the evil stuff is done by the apps and Google play Services, not android.

I'm not sure if coreboot has any proprietary parts.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
          That's cool and all but I'm not sure I want for-profit entities developing my firmware. What's to stop Google from spying on me with this?
          Next thing you know they'll start sending patches for the Linux kernel. The horror!

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

Android unites the world! Use the open source Android operating system to power your device. COPY

what is spying you is the Google Services part, which is not open.

Comment

Originally posted by davidhendricks View Post

Next thing you know they'll start sending patches for the Linux kernel. The horror!
              It truly is a catastrophe. I thought Richard Stalin was the only one outside of Linyos to commit to CVS? Since when have we allowed money to control our security?

Comment

Working...
              X