Open-Source Firmware Foundation Established For Advancing Open Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coder View Post
    You have to reach people where they are. If the purpose of putting out an announcement is to garner publicity, then it makes sense to use the services where the biggest audiences are found. Among your friends, use whatever you like.
    That.

That's not saying that they shouldn't also be using and promoting open, community alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Im not holding high hope, but will cheer them on.
      Mine is high enough for both of us.

Comment

Quite relevant after https://ariadne.space/2022/01/22/the...oftware-users/

Note: Open-source firmware not "free" firmware, and tbh I don't think it matters. Firmware normally only has one copyright holder anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          open source is not always a good thing. you can see it all over linux how many forks are because "my way is better" and instead of focusing on something people keeps reinventing the wheel
          No, that's it working exactly the way it should. People are perfectly free to reinvent the wheel with their own time and effort if they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

No, that's it working exactly the way it should. People are perfectly free to reinvent the wheel with their own time and effort if they want.
            thats true. but i think it would be much better to make an effort on improving the existing wheel instead of start one that will remain unfinished.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              mastodon sucks to use, never heard of pixelfed
              Could you elaborate? I'm a daily user of mastodon ([email protected]) and I don't have any problems, what do you encounter?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

thats true. but i think it would be much better to make an effort on improving the existing wheel instead of start one that will remain unfinished.
                (Almost?) all Intel motherboards come with firmware based on EDK2/OVMF, which you might be familiar if you use qemu VMs... Some components are 1:1 the same if you check in IDA/Ghidra. So much that often bugs are still reproducible across every bastardized vendor build. So the problem you describe already exists in exactly the same way as if it was open source. Because it is. But sadly not GPL, so commercial interests mean you don't get the modified source code... But even if you did there's little point when most mobos are as locked down as the average smartphone.

Comment

Working...
                X