No announcement yet.

Platform Firmware Runtime Update & Telemetry Feature Submitted For Linux 5.17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform Firmware Runtime Update & Telemetry Feature Submitted For Linux 5.17

Phoronix: Platform Firmware Runtime Update & Telemetry Feature Submitted For Linux 5.17

Last September I was the first to call attention to Intel working on a new feature to allow updating some system firmware components without needing to reboot such as for mission critical servers that try to avoid downtime at all costs. That Intel "Seamless Update" feature also known as Platform Firmware Runtime Update and Telemetry (PFRUT) has now been sent in for mainlining with Linux 5.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One wonders who the "telemetry" data are for.

Comment

Sounds ominous

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
        One wonders who the "telemetry" data are for.
        Hopefully sensors and not spying....

Comment

Kernel level Telemetry? If this gets by Linus I will be shocked. If Intel wants to monitor things let them put an optional program in user_space. Better yet let Intel create their own version of the Kernel with the Telemetry in it. I don't feel that the Mainline Kernel is a place for this type of stuff.
          Last edited by shanedav4; 18 January 2022, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
            Kernel level Telemetry? If this gets by Linus I will be shocked. If Intel wants to monitor things let them put an optional program in user_space. Better yet let Intel create their own version of the Kernel with the Telemetry in it. I don't feel that the Mainline Kernel is a place for this type of stuff.
            Intel has it ME hardware so if they want to monitor they will - even your PC is switched off they can do whatever they want. They do not care do you have telemetry built in or not. The kernel part at least geve you some control of this hardware for your needs - to remotely manage your servers or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
              PFRUT was already merged last night.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X