Motherboard Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Linux Support

I am building a high end PC with the AMD 5950X.

Which vendor has the best mobo support, ASUS or Gigabyte or ASRock for Linux users? Areas of concern include (but not limited to):
    - BIOS updates
    - Drivers for sensors, etc
    - Releases via FWUPD

I have an ASUS x570 board that works well with every Linux distro I've tried. In response to your specific questions:

1. ASUS updates the UEFI package via a built-in utility. Updates are operating system agnostic. My C8H board has received updates roughly every two months since new. Currently using the latest release AGESA package from AMD (there's a beta pending, but ASUS has not made that one available).

2. Everyone is the same for Linux. Sucks compared to Wintel. I'm told this is an AMD issue.

3. Nope.

Comment

Thanks, rbmorse, for the reply. I am about to pull the trigger at newegg for the ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Comment

I've got the non-dark Hero with a 5800x CPU. Been very happy with it.

Some owners have reported that x570 boards can be picky about memory, especially when using all four DIMM sockets. I've got 4 X 16 Corsair vengeance 3200C16 (listed on the QVL) and it hasn't given me any problems. Note the pins on the motherboard headers are very soft. Use care whilst assembling.

Comment

Working...
        X