Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock Rack's ROME2D16-2T Makes For A Great EPYC Server Board

Phoronix: ASRock Rack's ROME2D16-2T Makes For A Great EPYC Server Board

For those looking to assemble your own AMD EPYC 7002/7003 series 2P server or workstation, the ASRock Rack ROME2D16-2T we have been testing out for the past quarter and it's been holding up well across our daily benchmarking and other Linux and BSD tasks. The board has been working out very well and is currently available from retailers like NewEgg.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is it normal for such boards to not come with a CMOS battery? Seems like an odd place to cheap out, and makes me wonder where else they cut corners.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Is it normal for such boards to not come with a CMOS battery? Seems like an odd place to cheap out, and makes me wonder where else they cut corners.
      AFAIK the CMOS battery comes with the package, but it is not assembled into the board at the factory. This prevents some RMA situations (battery comes loose, shorts between pins on B2B/open pin connectors, bursts (or damages ICs).
      Last edited by microcode; 22 November 2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

AFAIK the CMOS battery comes with the package, but it is not assembled into the board at the factory. This prevents some RMA situations (battery comes loose, shorts between pins on B2B/open pin connectors, bursts (or damages ICs).
        I wonder why is this not the standard procedure for every other motherboard out there....

Comment

After struggling to find a single Epyc I cant imagine how difficult it would be to find matching CPUs these days. If I could build again I'd get a Dell board since you can find many cheap Dell locked Epyc on ebay. Or supermicro for the ES models.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

There is also the issue of shipping lithium ion batteries (even CR2032's) depending on the various jurisdictions (and shipping carriers) regulations and interpretations.
            Last edited by CommunityMember; 22 November 2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

In the cart, happy ai didn't ask Protocase to make me my 4U Rack unit based on the SuperMicro

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                There is also the issue of shipping lithium ion batteries (even CR2032's) depending on the various jurisdictions (and shipping carriers) regulations and interpretations.
                That's true but those CR2032 cells aren't Li-Ion. They're Li-MnO2 (non-rechargeable) and to my understanding, a lot less dangerous. In any case, it spooks politicians who don't know better, so I'm sure in some places they're still banned.

Comment

ASRock gives me bad vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                    ASRock gives me bad vibes.
                    This is how I feel about every single motherboard vendor.

Every brand has bad motherboards, even the more expensive boards. The goal is to find good reviews before buying. For big picture understanding I consume AnandTech and for specifics I look at Buildzoid's input at Actually Hardcore Overclocking.

I value the additional hardware info like Michael's review here but it's just to satisfy my curiosity since it's not always applicable to me.

PS: Consumer support is another subject altogether. Where I live there's no consumer support, so I can't say what's good or bad.

Comment

Working...
                    X