Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 PCIe Driver Leads The PCI Changes For Linux 5.16

Phoronix: Apple M1 PCIe Driver Leads The PCI Changes For Linux 5.16

Sent in on Friday by Bjorn Helgaas were all of the PCI subsystem updates for the Linux 5.16 merge window...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't help but feeling raw every time something positive happens with Apple hardware.
    Like, you're the helping hand, but Apple keeps stabbing you in the face. Every time.

Emotions aside, increased competition is a definite win for consumers.
    (Edit: This is an amazing effort none the less)

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      I can't help but feeling raw every time something positive happens with Apple hardware.
      Like, you're the helping hand, but Apple keeps stabbing you in the face. Every time.

Emotions aside, increased competition is a definite win for consumers.
      (Edit: This is an amazing effort none the less)
      It's not about Apple or their hardware, it's all about Linux and improving hardware support.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

It's not about Apple or their hardware, it's all about Linux and improving hardware support.
        Exactly, the more great hardware Linux can run on the better. And say what you want about Apple, but these new chips are thunder.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post

Doesn't really make sense to me.

You have a vendor that keeps pissing on your efforts by actively denying any information.
          I mean, I'd be fine if they was like "Yeah, we won't write anything but we'll give you all hardware documentation."
          But they're not, so why aid them in any way? Why make their hardware run anything else?

As I see it, this is actually aiding Apple and costing more man-hours than writing code for documented hardware.
          Much like any efforts to write Nvidia drivers is actually helping Nvidia out.

But all be like "Apple, shiny shit, but Nvidia is the plague"?

Comment

You have a vendor that keeps pissing on your efforts by actively denying any information.
            I mean, I'd be fine if they was like "Yeah, we won't write anything but we'll give you all hardware documentation."
            But they're not, so why aid them in any way? Why make their hardware run anything else?

As I see it, this is actually aiding Apple and costing more man-hours than writing code for documented hardware.

In 2028 Ebay and Craigslist will be flooded with countless thousands of Apple products with M1 processors, each one offered for less than the cost of a new pair of Nike sneakers.

At that point I'll be thrilled that the Asahi Linux project exists, because it helps fight the tech industry march of planned obsolescence.
            Last edited by Michael_S; 06 November 2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Why is hardware different to software, are you blasting Wine for making Windows software available outside of windows,
              something their developer did not help at all?

I dont care about Apple/Nvidia as Entity, but their hardware happens to be class leading, Nvidia is worse with their signed blob actively preventing reversed drivers to work.

What I see is some incredible ARM Hardware made available, and this should lead to interest and ultimately help software breaking out of the x86 chokehold.
              The bigger concern for is the "security" coprocessor and weird Bios crap that comes with it. So until I play commercial games on an RISCV with public schematics, this "Why do Y if X dont provide HW documentation" flies right past me.

Comment

Think of it this way: the Linux kernel supports more hardware than any other OS combined, it's true that a lot of vendors are anti-Linux and anti-consumer and you shouldn't support those companies, however, their efforts never stopped us from trying to improve Linux.

When I say "improve Linux" I'm talking about Linux gaining support for newer architectures or drivers getting better in some way, because those things are not separate aspects of Linux, they become part of the Linux kernel as soon as we upstream them.
                Last edited by ihatemichael; 06 November 2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

This is like Nvidia efforts. It will not get anywhere near native macOS support. But it's a funny reverse-engineer effort.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                    This is like Nvidia efforts. It will not get anywhere near native macOS support. But it's a funny reverse-engineer effort.
                    It doesn't have to be 100% perfect for it to be useful, it will continue to be improved like everything else.

Comment

Working...
                    X