Lenovo's Ryzen Laptop Shortcomings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo's Ryzen Laptop Shortcomings

If anyone wants to share anything about these or other models, you certainly are welcome to do so.

I am rather disappointed with Lenovo's (and HP's, though they did a slightly better job than Lenovo) undercutting their AMD offerings (though less severely than most manufacturers, especially Dell).

Therein is a list I had compiled with differences between the AMD and the Intel variants of the ThinkPad L14/L15 (they share the same motherboard(s)):

Intel:
    Either 2.5" SATA or M.2 SATA/NVMe(/Optane) (Up to 2280) and (in the WWAN slot, and this is officially supported) M.2 (Up to 2240)
    AMD
    NVMe only (No Optane) (Up to 2280) and (in the WWAN slot, and this is officially supported) M.2 (Up to 2240)

Intel
    Intel Ethernet
    AMD
    Realtek Ethernet (Realtek is known for having unstable drivers, with performance heavily dependent on CPU performance, and requiring additional system resources to get to similar results as their competitors, something that also harms the battery life)

Intel
    NFC optionally available
    AMD
    NFC unavailable (unofficially, can be manually added)

Intel
    Either iGPU or iGPU+dGPU (Radeon 625)
    AMD
    iGPU only

Intel
    Celeron model available (I know, not worth much)
    AMD
    No Athlon model available (an Athlon Gold 3015U is about the level of an i3-10110U)

Intel
    Officially support for Linux
    AMD
    No official support for Linux, regardless of Lenovo's "all Think-brand Linux support, no exception" promise)

Intel
    Official support for LVFS
    AMD
    No official support for LVFS

Intel
    Up to 11 hours of battery of battery promised (reviews show it to be closer to 8)
    AMD
    Up to 8 hours of battery life promised (reviews show it closer to 6) (this is partially harmed by the Realtek Ethernet)

Additional L-series models

ThinkPad L13
    Intel only
    ThinkPad L13 Yoga
    Intel only

Additional T-series model
    ThinkPad T15
    Intel only
Working...
X