Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting A Few Lines Of Code Can Yield "Significant" Power Savings On Some Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    Linux is a kernel, not an OS. The Linux kernel has massive market share.
    Actually is both because I don't have the time to list all the Linux OSes (distros) when I want to talk about all of them in general.
    Linux kernel might have a massive market share on supercomputers and smartphones, but as a home computer user I don't care about that.
    I care about my desktop and my laptop to be best supported by Linux and these kind of computers don't have the same hardware as they use in supercomputers and smartphones, so for someone to notice problems here, must be a desktop or laptop user.

Comment

Is this similar to

echo powersave > /sys/module/pcie_aspm/parameters/policy

?

Comment

Originally posted by PapadakosPanagiotis View Post
        Sometimes I am just wondering about the reviewing processes of the kernel code.
        If they fully tested everything and fully checked everything, it would be too slow, and production would be really low. They would need a lot more people, a lot more testers, etc. Not in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
          Is this similar to

?
          Not related at all.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by _Alex_ View Post
            Is this similar to

?
            The patch removes code that would disable ASPM for select devices when setting that parameter. If I understand it correctly .

Comment

On all my systems I see:
              Code:
              # dmesg | grep -i aspm
              ACPI FADT declares the system doesn't support PCIe ASPM, so disable it
              Thats on an Ivy Bridge and a Kaby Lake desktop, and Thinkpads X230 and T450. Both on Gentoo with a custom 5.4 kernel and Ubuntu 18.04 with the stock kernel. I don't think that patch is going to do anything at all...

Comment

I am shocked I tell you. I always thought that open source was so much better because "thousands of eyes reviewing the code" or some similar bullshit. Some asshole put in 6 lines of code that causes a system to suck down significant amounts of power and it took the Linux kernel genius developers 12 years to realize this?

MS and Apple would have been skewered all over the net of they were the ones that did something like this.

And people wonder why those 2 companies have valuations approaching the trillion dollar mark and Linux can't even get to the 1% of the desktop market point.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  Linux is a kernel, not an OS. The Linux kernel has massive market share.
                  This is so stupid and the people up-voting you should be ashamed of themselves. This is the usual retort when someone points out a problem with the Linux based ecosystem and it's flat out wrong. Linux refers to a family of GPL'd OSes that use the Linux kernel as their base.

The Linux kernel by itself is for all intents and purposes useless, you can't really do anything with it, a Linux distro on the other hand stops being Linux if you rip out the kernel and replace it with a different kernel, like for instance UbuntuBSD.

People like you should stop trying ti insulate Linux from criticism by playing word games.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                    I am shocked I tell you. I always thought that open source was so much better because "thousands of eyes reviewing the code" or some similar bullshit. Some asshole put in 6 lines of code that causes a system to suck down significant amounts of power and it took the Linux kernel genius developers 12 years to realize this?

MS and Apple would have been skewered all over the net of they were the ones that did something like this.

And people wonder why those 2 companies have valuations approaching the trillion dollar mark and Linux can't even get to the 1% of the desktop market point.
                    I never wondered and I never cared. I still LIKE Linux better than the OS'es those companies make. I'd still rather use something built 'by us all' instead of one built by one organisation. But you're just trolling for the sake of trolling, I think. I have no idea what your real goal is, but I don't think it's working.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
                      Some asshole put in 6 lines of code that causes a system to suck down significant amounts of power and it took the Linux kernel genius developers 12 years to realize this?

Wasn't Apple that had a security bug because of an "if" without braces?

Comment

Working...
                      X