Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deleting A Few Lines Of Code Can Yield "Significant" Power Savings On Some Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    That's why Linux needs to increase its market share to get more users for more bug reports and more developers to try and fix stuff.
    Linux is a kernel, not an OS. The Linux kernel has massive market share.

Comment

Sometimes I am just wondering about the reviewing processes of the kernel code.

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
        sounds like it would not make a difference on laptops?
        I think my PC has 4 pci express slots only one is used
        Looking at PCIe slots tells you basically nothing. Check
        Code:
        lspci
        (look for Bridge). Or even better
        Code:
        lspci -t
        to see how it is all connected. Laptops certainly have no fewer bridges than desktops - ExpressCard, ThunderBolt, NVMe and USB4 are all exposing PCIe.

Comment

Originally posted by zdzichu View Post

Code:
          lspci -t
          to see how it is all connected. Laptops certainly have no fewer bridges than desktops - ExpressCard, ThunderBolt, NVMe and USB4 are all exposing PCIe.
          on my Dankpad, 15 things came up..

I have my NIC disabled which apparently saves power I guess this would do something similar?

Comment

Just wondering: Maybe there was a reason to do so in the past? What if some PCI2PCIe bridges were misbehaving? I remember some problem with an ASMedia (1083 before rev. 3??) chip for example. Maybe they didn't want to switch it on by default, but later things got forgotten and it was never switched on (+ blacklisting or "work-arounding" for the faulty chips)?
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

For something being this "simple", this has been overlooked for way too long. How many power on earth could have been saved by implementing it right from the start?

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Just wondering: Maybe there was a reason to do so in the past? What if some PCI2PCIe bridges were misbehaving? I remember some problem with an ASMedia (1083 before rev. 3??) chip for example. Maybe they didn't want to switch it on by default, but later things got forgotten and it was never switched on (+ blacklisting or "work-arounding" for the faulty chips)?
                I was also thinking that they put it there to fix some problem. Hopefully that "problem" does not exist anymore.

Comment

Ahahahhaha this further proves that linux developers have boycotted linux operating systems and end-users as well, for years!!! the best collaborators of micro$$$oft!

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    For something being this "simple", this has been overlooked for way too long. How many power on earth could have been saved by implementing it right from the start?
                    Not much if not insignificant when put in perspective: how much power could have been saved by *not* mining bitcoin?

Comment

I tested the patch on Ubuntu 20.04, with a Ryzen 3700 server that is continously power usage monitored. It did not seem to have any effect. Or not more >1W. I use powertop to auto-tune all optimizations. It might have more effect on Intel systems, since they have much more powerstates that are dependent on ASPM.

Comment

Working...
                      X