X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
    But it might mean higher temps/less efficiency?
    Not really, in Epyc the "chipset" is a chiplet (or more than one chiplet) and is separated from "CPU core" chiplets, so the heat generated from this "chipset(s)" is not affecting that much the CPU cores.

You have heat transfer and performance issues when you fab the SoC as a single piece of silicon and therefore you concentrate hundreds of watts of heat within micrometers from each other. Chiplets are far enough from each one that high activity in one chiplet won't overheat the others. If the heatsink is the right size, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    In addition, Epyc is SOC and no chipset on motherboard. I'm hoping next TR follows this.
    Really?
    Didn't knew that.
    Maybe that works.
    But it might mean higher temps/less efficiency?

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    No, there won't be for PCIe 5.0+.

Even the few X570 (Ryzen 3000-series) boards that don't have active chipset coolers will still require a fair amount of airflow.
    Maybe advances are made?
    Or AMD splits the cihpset in chiplets like their CPUs?
    I don't know... just throwing out ideas...

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    Of course, but I assume anyone asking the question, particularly in reference to building their own PC, is an "enthusiast" and would therefore have the motivation and the skill to pursue aftermarket options. Anyone unable/unwilling to swap a cooler shouldn't be building a PC to begin with.
    Removing large chipset coolers with fans (which is also a technically warranty-voiding act, if reported) and slapping on something aftermarket (assuming that there is anything around at all) is not something most PC enthusiasts do.

Many don't want to install even an AIO and still want aircooling because it is simpler and easier.

Again, with the enthusiast in mind, most ATX desktop cases today do have multiple large fans.
    You are assuming a very specific usecase which is bullshit in this case, Mini itx builds are very much a thing now where you only need a GPU and most other slots are wasted. Also the whole window and RGB stuff is highly overrated.

Please note we are not talking of Threadripper or Intel Extreme something where you can only mount them on a full ATX board costing 500-600$, but of normal 100$ boards people will use with a 100-150$ CPU

the target audience for motherboards with active chipset cooling is typically the DIY enthusiast
    Not really, all current-gen boards that support PCIe 4.0 (which are not really "enthusiast", more like "gaming", it's still sub-150$, not 500$), but as older parts are phased out you are left with only newer ones that need a fan, and much rarer ones that are passive. And with PCIe 5 and 6 it's not getting better unless they move stuff to CPU alltogether.

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    It's harder and requires more skills than just dumb "plug thing into dumb-proof connector", most people won't do that.
    Of course, but I assume anyone asking the question, particularly in reference to building their own PC, is an "enthusiast" and would therefore have the motivation and the skill to pursue aftermarket options. Anyone unable/unwilling to swap a cooler shouldn't be building a PC to begin with.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Also your assumption that all cases have multiple 120mm fans is cute, we are not in 2001 anymore, mini itx and compact builds are a thing
    Again, with the enthusiast in mind, most ATX desktop cases today do have multiple large fans. Of course cooling is always a challenge with mini itx and compact builds, so smaller higher rpm fans are the norm there. Those who want both small and quiet have to settle for lower wattage parts i.e. not the fastest hottest chipset.

Not disagreeing with any of your points, just making the distinction that the target audience for motherboards with active chipset cooling is typically the DIY enthusiast, not grandma checking her AOL email at 56k.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    I don't see what the big deal is. Modern cases all have pretty good airflow, often having multiple 120 mm intake fans. Replace noisy chipset cooler with a larger passive cooler and you're all set
    It's harder and requires more skills than just dumb "plug thing into dumb-proof connector", most people won't do that.

Also your assumption that all cases have multiple 120mm fans is cute, we are not in 2001 anymore, mini itx and compact builds are a thing

Leave a comment:

• torsionbar28
    replied
    I don't see what the big deal is. Modern cases all have pretty good airflow, often having multiple 120 mm intake fans. Replace noisy chipset cooler with a larger passive cooler and you're all set. I used to do this on my Supermicro socket 940 boards, worked great. Check vendors that specialize in quiet computing solutions, as passive cooling devices are their bread and butter.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    No, there won't be for PCIe 5.0+.
    Unless they move the whole PCIe infrastructure into the CPU. It's not like they can't.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    Does the chipset still comes with a fan?
    Too early to know for sure

I don't want any moving parts on the motherboard which makes it less reliable.
    there are already modern mobos without fan

Leave a comment:

• ms178
    replied
    Like cables? Twin-axial cables are pretty much the only alternative, AFAIK.
    Have you seen what the GenZ-Consortium came up with? Their PCIe Enclosure Compatible Form Factor (PECFF) had lower platform costs in mind from the start:

"PECFF simplifies platform design and manufacturing
    • Can eliminate the need for high-cost, low-loss board materials and retimers by reducing trace lengths
    • Can use Gen-Z Scalable Connector internal cables to repurpose slots or to provide additional bandwidth/connectivity using topedge connectivity without requiring custom motherboards.
    • Can support multiple links and multiple connectors to eliminate single points of failure and stranded resources, reducing the amount of replicated hardware and enable optimal resource use and provisioning"

https://genzconsortium.org/wp-conten...dsPECFF_WP.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X