Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Th3Fanbus
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Intel develops TianoCore on GitHub.
    My next computer will be an Intel, it will not be an AMD.

AMD need to step up their game. Get rid of proprietary firmware and binary blobs, and make more open source and publish more documentation.
    Actually, as far as I have seen, newer Intel systems supported by coreboot have more blobs, and Intel does not seem to want to remove them.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Are you aware that this is just the upstream used by UEFI firmware vendors? (Phoenix, American Megatrends, Insyde, and others, also technically by Coreboot)

You don't and can't know (well technically you can to some extent if you are a badass and can analyze them for bugs) what was the source they took, how many years it is outdated from upstream, and what changes they made to it.

Also, the Intel Management Engine, aka the Hardware Backdoor, does not use the firmware from that repository, its blobs are compiled in secret by Intel from secret source code developed in secrecy.

This is like saying you will buy PS4 because their upstream is FreeBSD which is opensource.

(and I'm not saying there is anything wrong in buying the PS4 per-se, it's just the reason that makes no sense)

Leave a comment:

• numacross
    replied

AMD need to step up their game. Get rid of proprietary firmware and binary blobs, and make more open source and publish more documentation.
    Enjoy your Management Engine

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

Phoronix: Another Older ASUS Board Now Works With Coreboot, Can Be Found Refurbished $50~70

The ASUS P8H61-M PRO is now the latest motherboard working with mainline Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X