No announcement yet.

A "Newer" ASUS Mini-ITX AMD Motherboard Now Supported By Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah AM1 platform was somewhat unusual and unbeliveable, cheapest but works everywhere. It works on anything Windows XP to WIndows 10 any 32bit or 64bit. On Linux, four drivers for GPU now even coreboot...

No doubt someone will ask too much money for these previosly cheap CPU/mobos if he knows that this is little compatibility king and of course as Michael said we can always turn it into a bottle opener
    Last edited by dungeon; 14 January 2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post

The CPU part sure, Atoms are faster, but the GPUs... And at the prices DDR4 are these days, completely defeats the purpose of those cheap SoC.
      Atoms are not faster. Celerons and Pentiums (the soldered variety also used in NUCs) are slightly better on CPU, yes. But the GPU beats hands down even the mid-end Intel iGPUs (i.e. anything not Iris Pro)

Comment

Seriously??? This is awesome news!

I happen to have both the AM1I-A and the AM1M-A.

Comment

It is still available where I live for roughly 30-35$... not a bad deal, I must say.

A great choice if someone wants a "full libre" office+browsing machine.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
            It is still available where I live for roughly 30-35$... not a bad deal, I must say.

A great choice if someone wants a "full libre" office+browsing machine.
            That's the price for the board, prices for processors are through the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Sure? Last time I checked they were between 25 and 50 Euros. Considering that you get a fairly good low power quad core incl. a little GPU (and actually a SoC) it's not bad. It isn't entirely libre (a couple of FW blobs) but as close as it gets. I do use a Kabini Athlon 5350 as a daily productive machine. I can hardly complain. (Of course it's not a numbercruncher, but it was cheap and is low power, so that's fine.)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Two Semprons are still availabble in stores here in the Wild East. The 3850 goes for about 40$, so it is roughly 80$ for the two items with shipping.

Not the best deal, but you still get a pretty modern system with a few extra libre features for a reasonable price.

Comment

Working...
                X