NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, Takes On The Radeon RX Vega 64 Under Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, Takes On The Radeon RX Vega 64 Under Linux

Phoronix: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti, Takes On The Radeon RX Vega 64 Under Linux

Last week NVIDIA began shipping the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card as an offering at the $449 USD price point to undercut the Radeon RX Vega 56. Here are some benchmarks of the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti under Linux with the latest OpenGL/Vulkan drivers compared to Radeon RX Vega, the rest of the Pascal GPUs, and other graphics cards under a variety of different Linux gaming benchmarks with 12 cards in total being tested this round.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A few thoughts:

1. The fact that the GTX-1070Ti is even being talked about as a competitor to the Vega 64 (which frankly has zero excuse for not being 20 - 30% faster than the GTX-1080Ti much less this cut-down part) shows what a gulf there is in software support in Nvidia's favor.

2. The fact that the GTX-1070Ti is really only losing to the Vega 64 in OpenGL in Mad Max while easily beating the Vega 64 in Vulkan appears to put to rest the propaganda I've been hearing for years about how only AMD is capable of designing hardware that can use Vulkan.

Comment

Please test in FAH-Bench as well. I have a feeling the 1070 Ti will beat the 1080.

Comment

Originally posted by GraceAsylum View Post
        Please test in FAH-Bench as well. I have a feeling the 1070 Ti will beat the 1080.
        I'll have OpenCL tests in a follow-up article.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          A few thoughts:

1. The fact that the GTX-1070Ti is even being talked about as a competitor to the Vega 64 (which frankly has zero excuse for not being 20 - 30% faster than the GTX-1080Ti much less this cut-down part) shows what a gulf there is in software support in Nvidia's favor.

2. The fact that the GTX-1070Ti is really only losing to the Vega 64 in OpenGL in Mad Max while easily beating the Vega 64 in Vulkan appears to put to rest the propaganda I've been hearing for years about how only AMD is capable of designing hardware that can use Vulkan.
          1.) Yeap, is called gameworks in some cases and in many others(if not all) nVidia make sure all interesting games get optimized for nVidia first(they have leverage on many AAA studios) or their driver rewrite things to perform better under the hood by matching the executable name or sum. I'm okay with it and AMD/FOSS should do the same except the last option.

2.) AMD have the better Dx12/Vulkan hardware but that doesn't magically means Vulkan will triplicate your FPS in the same sense of having a 16 cores CPU won't make LAME go faster simply because 15 threads will be doing nothing but the hardware is actually better than a quadcore if you can use the extra power and functionality.

The problem with Vulkan/Dx12 right now is that all games at a very early stage where the engine can pseudo emulate Dx11/GL behavior + some optimizations here and there(like when the first Dx11 behave worst than their Dx9 counterparts until engines caught up) where it reduces latency or at least make some visible improvement but so far no game really exploit the full power of either(Vulkan/Dx12), so most differences between GCN and Pascal won't be exactly obvious for a while

Comment

OpenCL performance (ethereum mining) comparision with the new GTX 1070 Ti would be interesting too.

Comment

A few thoughts:
              Please do take into account that the Vulkan driver that AMD cards are tested with is not an official driver. Also, considering the rate of RADV development it is fair to forecast much better Vulkan performance for AMD cards. And this is a simple fact, not some of that "AMD finewine" crap that fanboys keep screaming each time a poorly optimised on nVidia-sponsored title runs better on nVidia cards.

Comment

It's not that simple, firstly Vulkan renderer in Mad Max was all about removing bottleneck from CPU, not so much about GPU. And it was originally developed with nvidia cards in mind. Whole Nvidia vs AMD issue on linux is that much more complicated to judge because most developers just flatout don't (officially) support AMD because there are so many drivers and configurations out there whereas vast majority of Nvidia GPU ownners use fairly stable 340.XX family driver.

I do agree with (1) in that (still) doesn't make sense to use the AMD for _gaming_ due to lower performance, lesser stability and cards being way more expensive than suggested MSRP (that 1070Ti pricing will closely match MSRP, heck I got mine GTX1080 on sale for ~475$ so it's not like they can overprice it).

As far as Nvidia goes, they have this whole cycle going for them (nvidia has biggest market share -> developers optimize for nvidia cards -> "meant to be played on nvidia" -> more people buy nvidia). Only way to break that is either by producing considerably better hardware at bargain prices or doing same thing Nvidia did, incentivizing big game developers to use AMD+Vulkan ("Meant to be played at AMD"). Considering the financial situation of AMD latter might not be possible for quite some time, they were in red numbers for too long and even as of 2017Q2 they were bleeding small ammount of money (even though nowhere near at the rate they used to in previous years).

I'm personally rooting for AMD here, competition is good. Just not good enough for me to spend extra money even though I might opt to get a amd system if they ever deliver on their promise of removing PSP in their lines (so far mei-cleaner has to do).

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  As far as Nvidia goes, they have this whole cycle going for them (nvidia has biggest market share -> developers optimize for nvidia cards -> "meant to be played on nvidia" -> more people buy nvidia).

Only way to break that is either by producing considerably better hardware at bargain prices or doing same thing Nvidia did, promote big game developers to use AMD+Vulkan ("Meant to be played at AMD").

Considering the financial situation of AMD latter might not be possible for quite some time, they were in red numbers for too long and even as of 2017Q2 they were bleeding small ammount of money (even though nowhere near at the rate they used to in previous years).
                  For disgrace this is ugly truth, nvidia put huge resources in agreements with various AAA development houses for this reason maybe this dont change in shot time and as your said especially with actual amd money resources

However amd opengl madmax results are impressive if them improve performance in big opengl mass titles case saint row series and many others

Without forget complete opengl extensions including azdo with conformant tests and have driver gui for when appears ubuntu 18.04 maybe various users can consider amd and new hardware with better watt/performance ratio

Comment

I discovered a interesting thing on F1 2017 on my RX 570, using Ubuntu 17.10 and Radeonsi. Here it is crashing on the interface of the game, but not in the gameplay per se. But if you launch it on Wayland, the interface blink but do not freeze. And the gameplay also do not freeze.

Comment

Working...
                    X